Predator took all 5 hens last night! I feel horrible!

Pics

chloemae

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2014
PA
Hi Everyone, thank you to everyone at this forum as you have all been so helpful! Every night I have a routine which includes checking on my 5 hens and closing their hutch door. I have done this for 5 years. Last night I am assuming I forgot as I noted the main door open this AM. All of my chickens are gone. There are no bodies, bones, etc. - just piles of feathers. I live in town with 2 sides of 8 foot fence and 2 sides of 4 foot fence. Hawks have been my daytime issues in the past as I lost one of my birds two years ago to a hawk in the daylight. I feel horribly guilty. Does anyone know what predator, in a southeastern PA town would just leave feathers overnight, be able to kill 5 birds, and leave nothing more? There are no gaps in the fence bottom and I have 3 dogs who use my yard to run and play....thank you for any information. I truly appreciate it!

Attachments

• 20200131_065606.jpg
    20200131_065606.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200131_065616.jpg
    20200131_065616.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200131_065710.jpg
    20200131_065710.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200131_065634.jpg
    20200131_065634.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 89
Thank you all for the advice and input. No tracks and no bones or bodies, the ground was frozen last night, just clumps of feathers around the yard. My neighbors nor I heard nothing. Would a fox climb a fence and be able to take the dead chickens over? Do you guys presume that whatever killed each chicken, pulled each one out and ate them there or killed them and took them away? I am just wondering if they suffered as we heard no yelling and there are nothing but feathers left....and how a predator got all 5 at once....I am still in shock....

Sorry for your loss as that had to be hard to see. Try not to beat yourself up as these things can happen. In my experiences, foxes tend to dig under fences so I would suspect coyotes because they are quite resourceful and would probably climb a fence to get at the chickens.

I left the door open, totally my fault....so whatever entered just walked in. I am so so sick. I have had a routine for the past 5 years, check them and lock the door. I am going round and round about this in my head....how I could have let it happen...

I left the door open, totally my fault....so whatever entered just walked in. I am so so sick. I have had a routine for the past 5 years, check them and lock the door. I am going round and round about this in my head....how I could have let it happen...

Please don't beat yourself up! :hugs It has happened to many of us and will happen to others again. You clearly did your best to protect and care for them properly, but we're all human and can forget to do things sometimes! Predators are tricky creatures and will take advantage of every opportunity. I've accidentally left the door open and have gotten lucky. I have also waited too late to put them up and an owl swooped in and took off with a younger chicken that liked to sleep in the run. These things happen and it's normal to feel sad but please know you're not alone and it's NOT your fault that the wild animal was hungry!

:hugsSorry you had this happen! It's crazy just how opportunistic these predators are! It's like they just lurk around waiting on us to mess up. First night my ducks were in their new pen an owl killed one, I didn't have the top on it yet! This is a reminder that I need to start closing up mines pop door as soon as they call it a day instead of waiting later.

Back
Top Bottom