predator took one leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cleoquel, Oct 13, 2011.

1. cleoquel

cleoquel New Egg

Oct 13, 2011
    I know the outlook may be grim, but I'm looking for news/advice/hope anyway. I have a 9 week old Welsummer (looks like a rooster--has the hackle feathers) whose leg was torn off by a predator. I've seen stories of one-legged chickens surviving, but the stories I've seen are usually paralysis, or amputated on the leg-bone part, or splayed foot/etc. My chicken has lost one whole leg, almost up to the body carcass. Yet, he's still alive (at present), and can hop. He has a bloody raw patch where the leg was torn away. Is there any reason to hope? Does anyone know if chickens grow new skin quickly? Obviously if he was going to bleed out he would have done so by now.

Tonight, he's in a separate carrier with water.

2. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Chickens recover from wounds extremely fast. If he hasn't bled out, there's hope.

Things to do:

1. Flush the wound with saline and/or an iodine wash.
    2. Cover it in non-painkiller neosporin.
    3. Keep him/her calm and isolated from the others.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Ditto what Davian said.

You can also give 1/2 baby aspirin (or 1/4 whole) crushed up in a cup of water for pain.

4. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Oh my gosh. The poor thing. [​IMG] I don't have any advise that hasn't been offered already but I wanted to say good luck with him.

5. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Another thing to add:

1. Give him some high protein food as he'll need it to heal faster. yogurt, meat, cheese, hard boiled egg, etc etc.

6. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    This exact thing happened to my sweet little Australorp girl, Q-Bert... I couldn't bear her suffering and my hubby put her down. I wish you the best of luck in your roo's recovery! [​IMG]

7. cleoquel

cleoquel New Egg

Oct 13, 2011
    Thank you! Such a great community. I'm in Tennessee so of course it's dark here. I took him some of the medicated starter chick feed and left plenty for him, in addition to his water (I'm not too concerned about drowning, since I did see him hop about 20 feet by himself, after my prodding). He doesn't feel like eating right now -- just sleeping. He's in a cat carrier with plastic bottom and sides. I don't want to handle him too much for fear of stressing him. We will see what the morning holds.

Yes, tomorrow morning I'll give him some egg or tuna -- something protein rich.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Can a one-legged chicken get around??

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Other people on BYC have one legged chickens that survived and can get along. I would not recommend free ranging tho, they wouldn't be agile enough to escape preds but, you can say that about 2 legged chickens too.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Well, thats good to know!!!
    Hope he pulls through!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by