Predator unknownI

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KickingChicken, Jun 23, 2011.

1. KickingChicken

KickingChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Hi-
    I am so disappointed, I had to share this with someone. My husband and I went out of town for a week and I had my friend watching my chickens. I had 4 adults and 6 chicks. One of the adults was a broody mama that hatched all the chicks and was a wonderful mom to them. I have never had a predator problem before and never expected this. She left the door to the run open somewhere in the days I was gone. I got home yesterday and mama bird and five of the babies are gone. There are no feathers or anything to identify the predator (I read the sticky). I am in North Georgia, and know we have racoons and opossum. Although, if they were the culprit I would think that there would be feathers. I have a 6 foot wooden fence around the yard also. Luckily one of the hens has taken the baby in, well somewhat. Now all three are not roosting in the coop, I find them huddled in a corner near the house- its the strangest thing. Baby tucked in under them. Do you think they are not roosting because of a traumatic event that happened in the coop, or because the baby cant get up into the coop yet (there is a pretty steep ramp up). I have been taking them and putting them in the coop. The coop is predator safe (well if the door is closed). Should I make them stay in there for a few days without free ranging. They are not laying eggs in there or anything.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. flash5153

flash5153 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Did your friend invite you over for chicken dinner?? Im kidding. I'm confused though,,you have a predator safe coop,, and you don't think the door was left open. And they are just gone with no sign.

3. KickingChicken

KickingChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Ha, good point! I am sorry, I had a typo. She did leave the back door open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by