Predator

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kathychandler, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Kathychandler

Kathychandler Just Hatched

Apr 1, 2017
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but something got one of my ducks Mon. night. Whatever it was took the head. My sources tell me it was an owl and I definitely have a great horned in the area cause I hear him. Today I bought a pen and I hope I can train them to go in it at night. In the meantime I guess I'll just have to pray they stay safe.

2. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

How awful! How are your other ducks doing? Can you let the pen open during the day with treats in it for a few days so they can get used to it before being locked in?

Also, :welcome

3. Kathychandler

Apr 1, 2017
    So far all 8 are fine. They did NOT want to go in that pen last night so I left their food in there and will put more treats in today. My beautiful little duck's death made me very sad. I hope Mr. Owl will take up residence elsewhere.

4. NEIAMuscovies

NEIAMuscovies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2017
    Northeast Iowa, USA
    You may have to scare the owl off. It wont last long but i carry a pistol when I lock up at night and if i hear them i pop a few shots off. Or we sometimes shoot off fireworks.

5. NEIAMuscovies

Feb 5, 2017
    Northeast Iowa, USA
    You may have to scare the owl off. It wont last long but i carry a pistol when I lock up at night and if i hear them i pop a few shots off. Or we sometimes shoot off fireworks.

6. Kathychandler

Apr 1, 2017
    Have you ever known an owl to take a muscovy because my next purchase is a pair of muskovies. The breeder I'm buying from says they are more predator aware than a pekin and he has all breeds.

7. NEIAMuscovies

Feb 5, 2017
    Northeast Iowa, USA
    Yes I lost 3 last year to owls. At anytime I have approx. 60 ducks running free in my yard though. Muscovies are a quiter breed and don't quack, they hiss so that may be his point. As for predators not sure about that but I dont lose too many during the year. Currently my muscovies are being butt heads and only five are going in at night. While I have three or so owl out and about. Lost one this year but I feel that it was an egael.

8. Drea07

Drea07 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Isanti County, MN
    Sorry for the loss of your duck!
    This sounds bad, but was just the head missing or was the chest cavity "empty"?

I thought I was dealing with owls taking my birds, each time their heads would be missing and some were killed in the run then pulled into their coop.
    Never saw tracks, fur, breaking in on the fence line or coops.

Started researching predators, and looked closer at the wounds. Turned out I was dealing with racoons. Found out the hard way when I heard a hen panicking and ran out to the run and almost ran into one of the racoons.
    Ended up being 8 racoons we were dealing with.
    They have gotten 9 of my birds. It's a constant battle to find all the ways they are sneaking in.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  9. Kathychandler

Apr 1, 2017
    OMG!! What is on your pens that they got through? I have chicken wire all around including the bottom. Can they get through that?

10. Kathychandler

Apr 1, 2017
    Just the head was missing - chest exposed but intact. One wing was pulled off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by