Predator

zadok

Songster
9 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Let my hens out as usual this am and something came through fast scattering feathers an taking two of the big hens. I believe it was a hawk or hawks. Feeling soon deflated

nuthatched

Fishin' for Chickens
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
Sorry for your losses, do you have bantams or standards? I don't think your average hawk can take a standard size hen with only feathers left. I'm think dogs or coyotes. Are they in a run or free range?

zadok

Songster
9 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Sorry for your losses, do you have bantams or standards? I don't think your average hawk can take a standard size hen with only feathers left. I'm think dogs or coyotes. Are they in a run or free range?
These are marans pretty big hens. It could have been coyotes I close them up at night in a coop. And one hen survived unscathed. I'm going to stay with this one when I let her out .I have raccoons but they eat together an get along with chickens

cmom

Hilltop Farm
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
So sorry for your loss. It could have been most any predator. If you have a camera, put it up because whatever it was will probably be back and then you should know for sure what you're dealing with. I wouldn't trust a coon. Good luck

Top Bottom