predator?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by andrew6d9, May 8, 2011.

1. andrew6d9

andrew6d9 Chillin' With My Peeps

My friend said that his chickens where killed over a week. about 2 every night and nothing was left. He has small wire and he can't find anything like a hole. What is it?[​IMG]

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Sorry about your friends chickens. A little more info may be helpful. Sounds like a raccoon. But again, a little more info.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Does his run have a closed top. Many predators like raccoons can climb. Minks can fit trough very small openings, although not through small wire.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Mink, weasel, possum, raccoon, fox, coyote, bobcat, fisher, skunk, dog, feral cat, GHO, hawk, and the list goes on. Everything likes to eat chickens. Without more information there is no way of narrowing down the list.

5. Britney

Britney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Your post is vague. Could a human being stealing them? It sounds to me like your saying that the chickens are just disappearing.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. nelsonsflock

nelsonsflock Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    North-Central, Idaho
    We've had a couple of predators break in our fenced in "chicken play yard" attached to their coop which we thought was secure. In our experiences a bobcat and a raccoon can sneak through even the smallest gaps in fence and even push through a fence attached with industrial staples. I hope you find the predator...have you tried setting out a live trap? In order to find the last predator (a raccoon) we set out a live trap with tuna and caught the coon in no time at all.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by