predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by elvallot, Aug 22, 2011.

1. elvallot

elvallot New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    We lost a girl today, the predator climbed over the fencing and under the tarp and seems to have tried to carry the bird out. We lost on girl last week, she escaped from the pen at night and got caught? We are thinking of moving the pen and reworking the wire around the fence. any suggestions as to what we are dealing with? and how to better critter-proof our coop.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Do you happen to have pictures? That would help a lot. From the sounds of it, you don't have a top on the pen? That would be a great place to start. Then they crawled under a tarp? You will want to have a secure coop, like a small house - i use wooden kiddie playhouses for my pens, with modifications. You want doors that close with several locks, 1/2" hardware cloth over any windows or openings.

My first inclination would be that you have a raccoon coming to get your birds. You want to take fast action, because any predator that finds a free meal will be back until you have no more birds.

3. elvallot

elvallot New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    The pen is covered in wire partially and overlayed with tarps to shade and keep out rain. The predator found a section where tarp was not secured between grommets. We have since then rewired the top of the coop. and will be trading out the old tarps for a single longer one that covers the entire pen and run. We are building a sturdiers pen. We have currently modifed a chain link dog run.

thanks so much for the help.

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    A coon will normally kill and try to eat the bird there a bobcat,coyote or fox will carry its food away

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by