Predators and Door Locks

Rose66

Songster
9 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Can a raccoon or any other type predator undo this type snap if it's on the exterior door to my coop?

78134_heavy-weight-metal-bolt-snap-hm-516-15.jpg

If yes, then what type snap or lock should I use? I really don't want to use a keyed padlock because I know I will forever be making a second trip back into the people house to get the key for the chicken house. I suppose a combination padlock would work but I'd really like to find something besides a padlock if possible. Thanks!

Raccoons sometimes *can*, but it is rare and requires just the right set of circumstances.

If you'd rather use a keyed padlock except for the "forgot the key" problem, just hang the key on a nail next to the door. Coons aren't THAT smart LOL

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

That's what I used on the lid of my run. Hopefully they will work--I did use a turn lock with a key on the door in the back. Just hung the key on a nail above it. DH said, if a coon can get this open, he deserves to have those chickens.

I use two of those spring type clips on each of the doors to our runs, but I don't rely on it for night time protection, out of an abundance of caution. The coop door has a regular key lock, and I keep the key on a lanyard that I hang up right next to the back door. On my way out in the morning, I just grab the lanyard and put it around my neck; when I come inside, I just put the lanyard back on the hook next to the door.

The thing about hanging the key right next to the door would be that if a two legged predator came by, they'd be able to get inside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom