Predators and Floating Duck Houses

furayk

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 31, 2014
We have a question about predators and floating duck houses, with the main concern being owls at night. We are in the process of building a large floating duck house for 15 ducks (Pekins, Indian Runners) and it will be in the middle of a small channel of water surrounded by trees. The house will have 3 walls and a roof, with the 4th side open so they can easily get in and out. Do you think it would discourage, or perhaps encourage predators if we shined a small light on the house? Just trying to think of anything that might help. Thanks!

I'd be interested in seeing your plans / pictures of your floating houses. I have ducks, and a pond in the backyard, and have thought of putting a floating island or houses on it for the ducks to use.

I would vote for no light on the houses. Ducks nest in the wild in darkness, and rely on silence to keep themselves hidden. I think a light would only draw predators and disturb the ducks, letting the predator know they are there.

Nite guard makes a blinking red solar light that's supposed to deter predators at night.
Thank You CKN. I have now ordered one of these solar blinking red lights. Unfortunately so far the ducks are scared of the duck house, so they are still sleeping on the edge of the lake. Lost another Pekin last night to a predator. Hopefully this light will help with this problem.

I'd be interested in seeing your plans / pictures of your floating houses. I have ducks, and a pond in the backyard, and have thought of putting a floating island or houses on it for the ducks to use.

I would vote for no light on the houses. Ducks nest in the wild in darkness, and rely on silence to keep themselves hidden. I think a light would only draw predators and disturb the ducks, letting the predator know they are there.
Thomas, here is a picture of our duck house. As noted above, so far the ducks seem scared of it.

Thank You CKN. I have now ordered one of these solar blinking red lights. Unfortunately so far the ducks are scared of the duck house, so they are still sleeping on the edge of the lake. Lost another Pekin last night to a predator. Hopefully this light will help with this problem. 

Yeah no problem! I hope it works out for you.

Did your ducks ever take to your floating house? I've lost 3 ducks in one week to either a fox or a raccoon :( This seems like a great idea if it worked.

Thanks,
Denise

I haven't actually deployed it! It sounded to me like it would be futile, so instead of working on converting the large spool right now, I started on my chicken coop (which will be done soon!). But I still want to try the floating duck house. I will finish it soon and will let you know. I have not replaced my last family of ducks that were taken from me, so I have none right now.

Back
Top Bottom