Predators and geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by augustwest, May 18, 2011.

1. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    I'm new to chickens and someone brought me a goose and 2 ducklings that they found wandering in a park. We lost one of the ducks, so we are down to one gosling and the duck. We have no idea what breed the duckling is, but we hopefully have a chinese or african gosling. I LOVE this little gosling... what a ham!

So, we've been looking for a home for them. But, I am in love. I don't think that the time is right for us, but down the road I think that a pair of geese might be fun.

We've lost lots of chickens to predators. Most recently a fox that was so bold she came into our garage to kill a pullet in the brooder- and then came back a few hours later and destroyed our run and killed 2 laying hens! Bad fox. We also have a hawk attack late last year- a pair of red tails- and they took 3 at one time. Very sad.

So, our run is totally revamped and we are much "safer" than before. We've decided that free ranging is asking for trouble, so we are confining the ladies 99% of the time (much to their dismay).

I'm looking for advice on keeping a pair of geese. I understand that they like to be free ranged, but do they stand a chance against a fox? What about a hawk?

This little gosling is bold as brass and nipped my little terrier on the nose this am. It was hysterical! He's very protective of "his" duck and calls her when she gets too far away. We have one chicken that is refusing to be caught and has been living in the rafters of our garage... the gosling gets all low and snake-necked around that chicken. He even pulled a tail feather out. So, I assume that penning the goose with the chickens is not a great idea?

Thanks for any advice....

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:It is my opinion after many years of having geese that a PAIR OF ADULTS can stand up to ONE FOX OR ONE HAWK. but if the fox hunt in pairs both geese may be lost. Normally a hawk won't even try. Geese usually keep a good sky watch and like to get under cover if they spot things in the sky. My geese normally avoid tall grass where a fox might hide and come dashing out at them. If they spot a fox they usually face toward it make a huge racket and threaten it. That is why a pair of fox can win. one catches the eye while the other aproaches from another direction When the sneak attack takes attention the first fox will attack too. Coyote and dogs that tend to hunt in pairs or packs are hard on geese too. The bigest sky threat is an owl since geese often feed at night while owls are active and not very visible. I shut my geese up at night. Hope this was of some help.~gd

3. augustwest

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    That's exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Do geese come in at night like chickens? Or do you have to round them up?

4. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Quote:Geese come to you a lot better than chickens do!
    If they are imprinted on humans, they will respond to your voice as if you were God himself.

If Balbinka is in a bad spot (such as underneath the horse), I screech (like a mother goose would to her own goslings if there was danger):

"Oh NO! BALBIIINKAAA!"

And she rushes to me like a streak of waterfowl lightening!

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I lost two yearling geese last year to a fox. The incident happened while they were free ranging and were with a large group of adult geese that are 3-4 years old. The fox took one Roman Tufted and One Sebbie - both were females. That particular fox is no longer an issue.

Edited to add - this happened in the late afternoon 4:30- 5p.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  6. augustwest

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    [email protected] acres farm :

I lost two yearling geese last year to a fox. The incident happened while they were free ranging and were with a large group of adult geese that are 3-4 years old. The fox took one Roman Tufted and One Sebbie - both were females. That particular fox is no longer an issue.

Edited to add - this happened in the late afternoon 4:30- 5p.

Gosh, that's not encouraging. Darn. We've lost so many chickens. I'm not sure free ranging is a good idea. Maybe we should get goats first. Dh will love this idea.... [​IMG]

7. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    I too lost an adult Chinese to a fox, so my advice is to pen them up at night. Mr Fox and his mate bought tickets to Fox heaven courtsey of Mr Winchester.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by