predators and pests

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wwtrashman, Mar 24, 2013.

1. wwtrashman

wwtrashman New Egg

Mar 24, 2013
    I have had chickens disappear as it turns daylight off and on for several months. Most times there are no feathers but on a couple occasions there have been. Also my two adult cats have been killed in the last three weeks The carcass was found and appeared to have been eaten and licked clean down to the hide. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd guess fox!

3. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Fox is a good answer, coyote as well. Since dogs aren't much into killing cats I would blame the first two. Fox and coyote will carry their prey away from the area to eat in private.Raccoons will as well for that matter. Fox are a lot bolder and will show up during the day as well. Had to kill a few when they got too close for comfort.... Good luck, Steve

4. littleoak

littleoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    I would think coyotes. They love to eat cats, sometime even more than chicken. My neighbor has barn cats and the coyotes get them at times.

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    thats how it was with bobcats and chickens here in the past. one or two chickens would totally disappear with no trace, either they would disappear in a few days in a row or there would be pauses in between. sometimes did find 2-3 feathers stuck together on the far part of property. it seems they really like to catch then carry off to secluded place to eat.

it also seems classic sign of bobcat carcass were the bones were 'clean' with the smaller ones having extremely clean cuts across them like they were expertly cut. not like dog chewed bones which have messy ends.

hide licked clean just seems to say cat type predator, it is normal for them to take turns chewing and licking their prey.

in some areas, cats are a regular prey for bobcats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by