Predators change with seasons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Roy Rooster, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I have heard that predators change with seasons. Not too sure what this means does anyone know?

Going into fall and winter what predators are more active that we should be watching for?

Thanks

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    well, the bears are busy building up their fat stores for winter [​IMG] A couple neighbors say that they have seen one foraging around the neighborhood. Of course, a couple neighbors think my GSD is a coyote, so I take their IDs with a grain of salt.

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    Not sure about actual predators changing due to seasons. But with the cooler weather chickens or their feed makes a easier meal for them to get when foods scarce.

4. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, thanks. I do put up their feed at night and of course lock them up at night.
    Hopefully with that they will be okay. We have done all that we know to do to keep them
    safe.

5. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    lol thats all we can do. I actually let my neighbors young cat climb all over my chicken house and fully enclosed run to see if i missed something. Sure enough i added some hardware cloth to my eve in the front of the chicken house. Too small for him to get in but now its got 1/2 in hardware cloth so guess it'll keep most things out. lol hopefully

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Migratory Coopers and redtails more problematic during early spring and fall. Resident Coopers go after chicks during growing season. For me oppossums more a problem during late summer and fall when they are most abundant. Foxes and coyotes, despite being present, seem to target other more abundant prey during spring and early summer but as season progresses and pups begin hunting my chickens begin figuring higher in their menu. Winter variation is harder to figure since weather can influence predator movement and availability of alternative prey. Extreme cold seems to cause racoons and oppossums to hunker down but when weather warms they are more inclined to visit. Proximity of alternative food sources (paw paws and persimmons) and waterways can increase odds some predators will visit.

7. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    I was just thinking about this topic the other day. As the leaves fall from the trees I can see there will be less canopy cover for free ranging. The berries and gardens are disappearing with their wonderful offerings. The lake that is a block away will be drained to its lowest point. The eagles will be migrating soon if they have not already, but hawks, coons, and others will need to look for alternative food sources such as trash cans, dog dishes and our chickens move up on the menu. When the rains come I will have a duck pond in the back yard beyond the fence line where my dogs patrol. Stay vigilant!

8. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, thanks you all for your input. I will stay alert and keep an extra watchful eye out
    for predators.

This is my first year raising chickens. So this will be our first winter together. We have built
    a coop and pen as secure as we know how. So hopefully our efforts will be enough to to keep them
    safe.

Thanks Again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by