Predators in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickchick56, Jul 7, 2016.

1. chickchick56

chickchick56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Do i need to worry in the city about predators? I know we have hawks and raccoons but
    Are there others i need to know about?

2. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't forget about dogs and cats. I had a couple of stray dogs wipe out most of my chickens within 15 minutes time. You also need to watch out for possums, skunks, rats and snakes in suburbia. Where I live in Arkansas most predators in the country are the same one as in the city. Think Fort Knox when locking up your chickens at night. Oh yeah, once some one (human) stole all my chickens one night while they and I slept! Footprints in the dew told the whole story.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Here in MN, I don't think you'll have much to worry about as far as snakes. At least I've never had a snake issue as far as chicken predators. You are right about hawks and raccoons, possibly skunks and as mentioned above, dogs and cats. My son went to college at Northwestern University on Snelling and saw a coyote cross all 4 lanes of Snelling one night.

4. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

Many people from towns and cities don't think they have predators but they do because everyone (and thing) loves chicken!

5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Cities and suburbs are raccoon, possum and skunk heaven: lots of places to hide from larger predators, lots of garbage cans, pet food and even idiots who actively feed them.
    Even red fox and coyotes adopt to living in cities & suburbs.

Read my post on Responsibility, please.

6. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Take it for granted that just about everything eats chicken, so best to be prepared.

7. chickchick56

Jul 5, 2016
    Minneapolis
    I've been watching my neighbors chickens at their gate hoping to talk but they never come out. .they're new to our neighborhood. .but their chickens have a run from the coop to a fence, in a v-formation but nothing over head and they are such friendly chickens too..I worry for them. Should I knock on their door?

8. chickchick56

Jul 5, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Anyone want to start a Minneapolis thread?? We could have fun too

9. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by