Predators in the Southwest

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shogun99, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    All,

I have another question. I was looking over the predators on the BYC website and it listed predators, but none of those are in my region (with exception possibly to the Hawk). Are there any specific predators that I should try to protect against in the area aside from the neighborhood cat?

Thanks

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    natural west tx predators that could potentially kill a chicken or chick
    (list does not include historic predators which are no longer present i.e. gray wolf):

hawks
    falcons
    badgers
    bears
    bobcat
    raccoon
    coyote
    rat
    mt lion
    ringtail
    skunk
    fox
    snakes

3. Jarhead

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Just so you know. That info was based off of materials I have from TX parks and wildlife dept. I grew up in TX and it was my stomping ground for 30 years. I keep up on all my TX info. My heart is still there.

4. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Thanks Jarhead!

I thought about the snakes but being in an urban environment, I haven't seen one yet in my neighborhood. I think that I really just need to be wary of the predators with wings and domestic animals, i.e. felines.

Do you think that there are any good ways of keeping cats out of the coop without having to resort to electric fencing?

5. Jarhead

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Do you have a fence of any kind? Do you normally see stray cats in your yard? You could always get a dog to guard the chickens. As far as material goes 1/2" hardware cloth seems to be the preferred item to close in the coop/run. Just remember these critters are very stealthy and many have adapted well to urban/suburban environments. Even though you don't normally see them be sure some are around [​IMG] Set up a trail camera (like you use in hunting) in your backyard, you might be surprise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by