Predators Might Get Worse--SW United States

Geckolady

Counting Chickens B4 They're Hatched
Sep 12, 2020
east central Arizona
Coyotes and other predators might get worse in the near future.

I've been finding dead rabbits without a mark on them. That was odd, so I called and found out that there is a contagious disease hitting rabbits that has around a 90% mortality rate. It is some type of blood disease that hits them so suddenly that they die right where they are. Once the rabbits finish dying back, they coyotes and other predators will need to look elsewhere for dinner. The night before last something kept going near my coop and setting off the lights. Tracks make me think coyote. The disease has been spreading in the southwest. I'm in east central AZ right by the Navajo/Apache county line. It's making its rounds. Just a heads-up for what it's worth.

You’re probably referring to RHDV2, the rabbit hemorrhagic disease. I was reading about that earlier this year. Scary stuff.

I don't know its name, but they did tell me it's not contagious to humans, dogs, or chickens. I was told to be very careful about handling the dead rabbits. I've been using an extra long set of fireplace tongs to get rid of them.

Coyotes and other predators might get worse in the near future.

I've been finding dead rabbits without a mark on them. That was odd, so I called and found out that there is a contagious disease hitting rabbits that has around a 90% mortality rate. It is some type of blood disease that hits them so suddenly that they die right where they are. Once the rabbits finish dying back, they coyotes and other predators will need to look elsewhere for dinner. The night before last something kept going near my coop and setting off the lights. Tracks make me think coyote. The disease has been spreading in the southwest. I'm in east central AZ right by the Navajo/Apache county line. It's making its rounds. Just a heads-up for what it's worth.
Just wondering does you light scare them off . I have one and never had it go off but I just have possums here Hopping it does work but I am not sure
Pete

This is good to know.
Good thing you asked around and can be prepared for more predators.
That is scary that the blood disease can kill them on the spot. It will be horrible if it keeps spreading.

Is your coop predator proof? As long as your coop and run is predator proof and you only let them out supervised, the Coyotes won't be ablate get he chickens, and they will move on.
How long do you think it takes for them to move on when they cant get in the coop? X

Just wondering does you light scare them off . I have one and never had it go off but I just have possums here Hopping it does work but I am not sure
Pete

So far, so good, until they figure out it's not going to hurt them. It's a combination of a really bright motion sensor light and flashing red light. I got it from Walmart's sale aisle several months ago and would like to get more, but haven't seen any more there since.

Back
Top Bottom