Predators not listed

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FrozenChicken, May 5, 2007.

1. FrozenChicken

FrozenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I see at your site listed the common predators of poultry but don't see 3 particular predators not listed. The Fisher has 3 small cousins that are equally devasting when they get into a chicken coop.

Spruce Marten :http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/marten.html

Ermine : http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/weasel.html

Mink : http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/mink.html

It's odd to see Fishers listed when these three predators are far more common where I live and I live only 6 miles from the green zone( Crown land).

2. FrozenChicken

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I more not on the list in Black Bear of course. I had one rip a hole in my broilers pen last year so he could feed on the nice feeder of chop. Thankfully the birds were locked up at the time.

3. Old Philosopher

Old Philosopher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2016
    Rocky Mountain Trench
    A neighbor about a mile from me went out to investigate a noise in his coop and was greeted by a 3 yr old grizzly coming out the door to meet him. I won't go into details in difference to the readership here, but he was lucky...the bear was not.

4. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Those links gave me 404 errors.

5. FrozenChicken

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh gosh they are so old the site is gone :) I posted those ages ago

6. Old Philosopher

Jan 13, 2016
    Rocky Mountain Trench
    Hahaha! Sorry I bumped this thread. I didn't notice the last post was 8 years ago! Oh, my....

But speaking of predators, my friend and neighbor lost 14 birds to the same skunk over a 10 day period. She finally caught it trying to get her duck, and told me at first she thought it was a wolverine, it was that big!

A week later I was able to trap it. The average weight of a big boar striped skunk is about 8 lbs. This one weighed in at 14 pounds! So she was half right!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. FrozenChicken

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I think just about any of the weasle family is the worst thing you can have around your chickens . They will kill as many as possible as they can in one shot and cache what they don't eat right away. A coyote will grab one then run for the hills :)

8. Old Philosopher

Jan 13, 2016
    Rocky Mountain Trench
    Worst event I've heard of was in a nearby village. A female cougar teaching her kits to hunt took out a guy's 20 Guinea Hens and a dozen chickens in one night. Not hungry...just practicing catching and killing things.

9. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Normally I would lose only one and then I was aware I had a predator and could lock them up for a while.

10. FrozenChicken

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I just remember I had a small batch of chicks (about a month old) in a little fence with a topper. A weasle got in there and killed all but 2 of them one afternoon. And when we were kids a spruce marten got into our chicken coop and killed 25 hens in one evening. Both times just chickens dead with their heads missing :( Sometimes there is just no warning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by