Predators outside US

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Opa, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I know in this country we have to deal with the possibility of losing our birds to bears, mountain lions, lynx, bobcats, wolves, coyotes, fox, racoons, skunks, weasels, oppossums, dogs and cats. But what about in England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Europe?

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    In South Africa, it's servals, genets, otters, mongooses, civets, monkeys & the odd Caracal (bobcat) on the farms. Also owls if they aren't cooped safely at night. Hawks are a big problem. Of course there are the domestic dogs & cats too. Rats never caused me any problems but I'm sure they can. Snakes are a problem with eggs & chicks. On the farms, jackals would be an issue if the birds were free at night. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
    I have no idea what the predators in Israel are but foxes, hawks & owls are part of the list.

3. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    I don't think there really are any predators in Austrailia. Unless a kangeroo got in your backyard and stomped your chickens to death but that's highly unlikely.. There might be snakes tho.

In UK there's foxes and some birds of prey.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:In germany you have foxes, razorbacks,badgers,reintroduced wolfs and bears(extremly rare but it happend in the alps) your full line of birds of prey , polecats,weasels,minks, stoats, escaped racoons and skunks, sometimes even a wolverine, rats, martens, ex pet(escaped) genets,lynx, wildcats, dormouse.......and dogs and cats of course. Thats about everything i can think of

5. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Dude, the 8 nost venomus snakes are in australia, dingos, crocs,mulgara and everything else humanity introduced

6. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Quote:Dude, the 8 nost venomus snakes are in australia, dingos, crocs,mulgara and everything else humanity introduced

Oh, well someone on a duck yahoo group couldnt figure out what kept getting the eggs and they said that there are no predators in Australia.

7. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky

Oh, well someone on a duck yahoo group couldnt figure out what kept getting the eggs and they said that there are no predators in Australia.

oh and all those lizards that could eat a young chick

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Someone was teasing you. Australia is filled with predators that will eat eggs, chickens and even you if given a chance.

9. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Here in Wales our main problem is the fox. We also have some stray dog problems. There are polecats and mink that will take birds and the goshawk which is protected so you are not allowed to kill them if they go for your birds. That is about it for around here I think.

10. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Monkeys? Wow, now that must be a challenge; a primate predator with high intelligence and good fine motor skills. I use carabiners to lock my run because racoons can't open them, but I'll bet a monkey could do it no problem.

Phyllis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by