Predators

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Happycowdog, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Happycowdog

Happycowdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    I have researched and thought about all predators that could possibly kill our chickens. I just got three chicks, two light Brahmas and an Easter Egger. They are 4 weeks old. I have been letting them out of the brooder and they follow me all over the yard. They are a riot!

Anyway, before I let them out, I put the cat up and our cattledog Jack. Jack absolutely loves them, but he is too big right now and I am afraid he would step on one or better yet, give one of his herding snaps and we would have an accident. So I have been really careful.

This past week I noticed a turkey vulture flying low over our property. I keep the brooder in the yard under the shade tree, and I have been letting the chicks out about three times a day when I can watch them. That vulture likes to fly over starting at the time I place the brooder in the yard. Do you think he has heard the peeps and do you think it is possible that he would try nab one? My husband says vultures will go after small game.

2. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    your husband is right. And while you've got your eye on that one, a different one could swoop in out of nowhere. You might want to use a tractor.

3. Happycowdog

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    Thank you...very scary thought. The chicks have been feeling comfortable enough to wander from me too, not too far, but far enough for one to swoop in out of nowhere and grab a chick. I didn't know vultures worked together like that...

4. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    I'm not sure they're working together but where there's one there are more. I used to live on the Chagrin River and I'd romp my fox terrier along the banks. There would be huge flocks of vultures eying the dog. Even had one fly at me once. Very scary. They're bigger and uglier when they get that close.

5. Happycowdog

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    I reposted in the predator section too! Thanks!

6. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Yes they will go after them. Predators normaly go after the smallest weakest ones. Last night I had somthing get 1 of my 1 week old chicks. be safe and watch your chickies carefully when they're out of their pen! [​IMG]

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I would put wire over the brooder. I had a hawk try to get my quail chicks, and he got his leg stuck it the wire. I think he broke his foot, when I pulled him out he fell over and started flopping around. I found him in the field a day later, and he could fly, but couldn't stand up.

8. Happycowdog

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    That would be something to find a hawk like that! Our brooder is a dog cage with chicken wire wrapped around it. My husband put together the strong cage; then we both carry it in the garage at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by