Predatory squirrels???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickenaddict, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Yesterday I was outside watching the chickens enjoying the sunshine. A few of my serama hens were out and about with their chicks. About 15 ft from the back patio we have a very big pine tree the chickens had dug a dust bowl by the base of the tree. I had tossed out some bread to them earlier. I saw mama and her babies hit the dust bowl and watched the squirrel about half way up the trunk of the tree watching mama and the babies. I will do my best to describe it so you can visualize what I saw next....... The squirrel aka tree rat as we call em here spotted a piece of bread near the dust bowl and decided to take a dive down to the ground to snatch it up quick, Well ebony the broody mama wasn't having any tree rats near her month old babies so she tries to chase the squirrel off....* Here is where the benny hill music comes into play* Her and the squirrel are going round and round the tree, squirrel gets tired and bounces up the tree about 2 ft cussing the hen out because in the midst of the chase it had lost the piece of bread it once had hanging from its mouth [​IMG] . The squirrel then jumped on the back of my hen from the tree! There they were wrestling around on the ground, babies are freaking out and then the squirrel went after the lil ones! Ran thru them and of course that got ebony nice and fired up again so she then gets on the squirrels back pecking the heck out of its noggin flogging it and screaming like you wouldn't believe, then another broody hen runs over and starts kicking the thing in the face! That was one big can of whoop *** for a coulple tiny little hen. The tree rat retreats back to the tree and sits there watching for about 2 seconds before it dove back down and lands on ebony's back again. This took place 5 times before one of the roosters caught wind of what was going on and took care of mr fearless tree rat. Now I have to worry about ninja squirrels attacking hens with babies [​IMG]

2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Lol Ninja squirrels.... [​IMG]

3. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    I've only seen one squirrel on my property since I've owned chickens...... It had the whole flock after it. Once the chickens treed the squirrel, they stayed under the tree along time waiting for it to come down. Nothing funnier than seeing a flock of killer chickens chasing a squirrel!

4. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Great story....thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

5. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    We had ninja squirrels once, then they met ninja turkey...............

6. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Looks like Ima gonna have to fetch me one of them ninja turkeys your talkin about Gerbil [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Because I worry for the whole world, I have to ask if you think there is any chance the squirrel could be rabid?? I'm wondering why bread would be worth that kind of battle. But then again maybe to a squirrel it was a feast. I hope he didn't bite or injure your chickens.

What a mama to put up such a fight? Good for her and her helpers. I hate squirrels and we are overrun with them. My friends dog once beheaded one and brought the carcass back as a trophy - ugh!! I'm sure he would have gladly torn up chickens too but, thankfully she didn't have any.

IFyour flock didn't get injured, I'd say that would have been a video I would have loved to watch. It probably would have set a record for hits on youtube. Chickens are amazing, and squirrels, as you put it ARE tree rats.

8. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Squirrels routinely raid birds' nests for eggs and young birds, so your chickens' attacks are well justified!

9. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Mama was not bitten by the tree rat thankfully! I watched the whole act go down from the picnic table. If I thought that squirrel was gonna hurt her I would have ran over and broke it up but I just had to watch it all go down. I am still giggling about it today [​IMG] This particular squirrel LOVES "playing" with the chickens but I had never witnessed it go this far until yesterday. He woulda had a much better chance of finding an easy meal digging up the nuts it has buried in all the gardens around the yard. I think the lil bugger had a taste for bread mixed with a lil boredom he hangs around quite a bit along with his sidekick the chipmunk who is swift enough to steal abbq rib straight off the grill. We keep a sling shot by the back door just in case one decides to go postal. I got pretty good aim [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Next time we want video -

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by