Predicting broody hen??

SD Bird Lady

Songster
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
south central south dakota
I have a BO hen that has built a nest for every egg,even her very first pullet egg and her nest box must be perfect before she lays The two LF light brahmas lay in the nest box and then I have two Buff brahmas who just leave them lie where they may with not so much as a dent in the bedding..... I am new to this but I was wondering if her nest buliding is a sign that my BO has better maternal traits and would be more likely to go broody this spring or is it just my wishful thinking??

I dont either....I dont want her to be until spring when its more "practical/natural" . I may have asked the question wrong. I was more interested if anyone else had a hen that exhibited more " extreme" nesting behaviour than the rest of the flock and that later became a consistently broody hen. Hopefully that helps clarify.

I have silkie she goes broody all the time even in cold weather !! I had to take eggs from her, Shes not too happy !
sad.png

give her the average eggs for that breed to lay when they go broody for one to 3 days see what she does its how i pick my best mothers for american game

Back
Top Bottom