1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Preditor on the loose!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mixedflockmomma, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Raccoon

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Opassum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Feral cat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dog

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bird of prey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Wessel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Bobcat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Skunk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mixedflockmomma

mixedflockmomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    I live in Central Florida, in a rural area. My closest neighbor is 1/4mile away. I started losing birds last week. Started with with one duckling partially eaten and one just killed. Next day my 4yr old turkey hen was killed, not much missing. The most noteable thing about her death was that the skin on the back of her upper neck was gone and all her organs were still intact. Then 2 days ago we found another duckling dead in the afternoon, this one was missing lots of feathers and partially eaten. This morning I found an empty egg shell near where the last duck was found. and i found a hole near my gate, where the predator tried to dig under. The pic below is of the track i found in the dirt near the hole. I filled it in with feed, to make it visible in the picture. The track looked kinda like a rabbit track. I donno what it is, but I plan to put up a game cam tonight and a baited live trap. Any ideas anyone?
    I will post any pics of the culprit i get off the game cam

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I don't know, to me it maybe looks like the rear foot of a raccoon.

3. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    I would say raccoon too. Were the attacks at night?

4. mixedflockmomma

mixedflockmomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    Wcaught the culprit on the cam last night, but unfortunatly it killed another duck and injured a second one. Hopefully the injured duck survives.
    [​IMG]
    I hope the coon enjoyed its duck meal, cuz that will be its last duck. We borrowed a live trap from my dad. And a friend of him LOVES fried coon for dinner. YUCK!

5. chad3

chad3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Central New York
    Good luck, i hope you catch it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by