Predominant Sex??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Laskaland, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Odd question, but inquiring minds want to know...

Teachnicially, there is about even odds about a human baby's birth 50/50 shot that it will be a girl.

Is that the same for chickens, or is one sex more likely to hatch than another?

I seem to have more boys hatch than girls, so I wonder if this is just my luck or if it is a real thing.

Thanks
    Christina

2. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    The male determinds the sex of the offspring. Reguardless of species. Some families may have more female, some more male.. its up to the rooster you are using. You will find some roos produce more of one then the other.

3. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Uhh, I believe it is reversed in birds. The female determines the sex of the offspring.

I don't know, though, what the chances of male & female babies are. Some are roos and some are pullets, LOL [​IMG]

Shane

4. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Well I've heard it's supposed to be 50/50 with chickens has anyone heard the ratio on quail??? Because out of 3 small hatches of a total 10 birds I have 2 girls... Ugh!!! Talk about frustrating... [​IMG]

I'm getting ready to put some chicken eggs in the bator and hope my Roo streak has ended... guess we will find out in a couple of months [​IMG]

(I never can tell what they are until the either lay an egg or start crowing.. LMBO)

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Sorry, but that is false. In birds, especially chickens, the female determines the sex of the offspring.

6. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Sorry, but that is false. In birds, especially chickens, the female determines the sex of the offspring.

LOL then maybe I need to retire my gal from hatching eggs and just put hers in the fridge... and just wait until I get a new hen up and running before I hatch anymore little roos... [​IMG]

7. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard both on here the rooster determines the sex and have heard the hen determines the sex. So for proof of information please cite sources so they can been determined as fact.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:While there may be many sources, it's something that people should have learned in Biology.

9. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:While there may be many sources, it's something that people should have learned in Biology.

Hi Brad:
    I did quite well in Biology as a matter of fact. The thing is, mammals are quite different from birds. If I had known the answer, why would I have asked?
    Christina

10. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I also did quite well in Biology (twas my major) but don't remember any mention of chicken sex determination (or any bird for that matter). It is entirely possible, that like most things from high school and college, that I have simply forgotten this particular little nugget, however. [​IMG]

I would also be curious to know for sure. I will try to find it on my own (and will post any links if I find anything), but would appreciate sources from others as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by