Preemie Chick...NEED HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by annetteu, Jan 16, 2013.

1. annetteu

annetteu Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Greenwood
    Is there anything I can do to help the little one survive.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    What do you mean by "preemie"? I know it means premature, but how premature? Is it's yolk sac absorbed and it's navel sealed? If not it will need to be kept in a warm, humid place (preferably an incubator) that is completely clean. Then all you can do it wait and fingers crossed!

3. annetteu

Aug 21, 2011
    Greenwood
    once I got him warmed up his eyes opened and he drank some water. The other chick that is with the mother is 4 times larger than the one I have. I want to sleep a lot, is that normal? Then he starts chirping and it sound wonderful.

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sorry I'm not sure what is going on here? Why do you say he is premature? Was he hatched from a small egg? Is the yolk sac/navel o.k? How old is he?

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. annetteu

Aug 21, 2011
    Greenwood
    The reason I say preemie is the egg had a hole in it but the chick showed no signs of hatching. After reading some of the post on here I helped it along. Not my best move.I tried to leave it with the mother and she tried to kill it. I brought it in the house and watched over it like I did my preemie daughter. I am soooo happy to say he/she is doing great. I named the little chick Paisley. Paisley is eating,drinking, and pooping. I hope with all my heart little Paisley will grow up to be a great pet. Also the chick born before Paisley is 3 times his/her size.

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    awwwww Congrats!!

8. annetteu

Aug 21, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thank you. The little one is doing GREAT

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Oh that's good news! I wonder why he/she is so tiny though? Small egg? Can you post a pic for us? I haven't had a chick in months, I need a fix LOL

10. britany

britany New Egg

Apr 17, 2014
    how can i help my preemie chick ?????? she still has the yoke stuffe on her and she i she like 5 mitut old rate now um it 2:04 um i cant tell if she still bretheing or not

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by