Preen Gland

MillysMommy

Hatching
Apr 21, 2017
My 12 year old house duck died on News Years Eve.
The weeks before her Preen Gland was Enlarged with hard dried stuff coming out at first and then thick( no smell) i assume backed up oil but not sure cause it was a slight pinkish color would come out.My vet called another vet that specializes in birds and she was put on antibiotics.The gland seemed like it was getting better but still enlarged but started to have an odor.The night before she died she played in her water & acted fine.I got home that morning and i could tell something was wrong as she usually greets me with loud impatient quacks.I fell asleep and woke up at 6 to her laying right beside me 13 minutes later she died in my arms.I had her cremated...I just want to see if anyone has had problems with the Preen Glands.I feel like i let her down after 12 years of dedication & her being my child.I still cry and feel like I could have done more.

My 12 year old house duck died on News Years Eve.
The weeks before her Preen Gland was Enlarged with hard dried stuff coming out at first and then thick( no smell) i assume backed up oil but not sure cause it was a slight pinkish color would come out.My vet called another vet that specializes in birds and she was put on antibiotics.The gland seemed like it was getting better but still enlarged but started to have an odor.The night before she died she played in her water & acted fine.I got home that morning and i could tell something was wrong as she usually greets me with loud impatient quacks.I fell asleep and woke up at 6 to her laying right beside me 13 minutes later she died in my arms.I had her cremated...I just want to see if anyone has had problems with the Preen Glands.I feel like i let her down after 12 years of dedication & her being my child.I still cry and feel like I could have done more.

She was 12 and you gave her a great life.....:).....Like us all...;)...We all shut down as we age..:(.....

Never feel bad..:)......

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom