Preen/oil gland? swollen and lost feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrsmoore, Nov 24, 2012.

1. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Out Of The Brooder

Hi - am from New Zealand - and brand new to hens, or as we say here, chooks.
    One of the hens we have been given (about 2 yrs old) has a raised pink narly looking lump on what we think must be the preen gland and the feathers around the area are gone or looking weird. She isn't eating or pecking much, just standing around. Would she have an infection? Or be egg bound? My husband put his finger up her vent and felt an egg way up sideways. Thanks for any help :)

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    If he felt an egg then she is egg bound or is about to lay. If she hasn't laid yet then put her in your sink with warm water and massage her backside moving downward. This helps to relax and un-tence her muscles. Try to help her squeeze the egg out. But do not crack/break they egg. The sharp sides will cut her inside.

3. mrsmoore

Thank you for your advice - we will try it out now as it's a warm, sunny Sunday afternoon over this side of the world. Hopefully it works :)

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Good Luck. Let me know how it goes.

5. mrsmoore

Hi - yes our girl Molly was egg bound and delivered an egg the following day. My husband ended up actually put his finger up her vent with vaseline and checked, so it must have helped it to come down. She is still looking not happy - head into her neck and eating way less than her friend Milly, but at least she is eating and pecking again. Someone told us it could be internal worms and red mites, so are giving her a vinegar in water mix into the mash and water. Thanks about the warm bath - I think we will definitely do that next time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by