1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Preening as a group?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brucepierce, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Brucepierce

Brucepierce Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Just outside Boston
    My Coop
    Hi folks,
    Here's my question...this morning I did my version of a cleaning on my coop, shoveled the bedding, swept rafters and windows for cob webs, washed the waterer, freshened up the shavings in the nesting boxes, filled the feeder and scraped poop off the perches...
    All the girls returned from foraging and headed into their run...they immediately all started dust bathing and then preening themselves and each other...for a good while...is this a normal chicken behavior I somehow missed or should I start looking for mites or lice? I'm afraid to even go there....

Thanks in advance

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    My chickens all dust bathe and preen together as a flock. Whether they dust bathe or not you should always check your birds for bugs.

3. Brucepierce

Aug 15, 2012
    Just outside Boston
    My Coop
    Yeah, that's my plan for the morning...so am I just parting their feathers in spots to look at the skin....or will I see them crawling about?

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
  5. Brucepierce

Aug 15, 2012
    Just outside Boston
    My Coop
    Thanks folks....I'll check them in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by