1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prefab coop issues

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kayachicken, Nov 26, 2014.

1. kayachicken

kayachicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    South-Western France
    Hi! My prefab coop which I brought a little while ago (we moved from Europe to France, so we've had to start all new with our chickens, we're 'keeping it small' for now (yea, how long will that last? We're picking up a pekin trio this weekend to add to our flock LOL) has the two nest boxes located right next to the roosting bars and it's positioned so that whenever I come down to let them out in the morning the whole front of the boxes are covered with poop. I have to change the straw every. day. Argh [​IMG]

There's a space under the coop in the run, 'walled in' by the coop legs, that I'm thinking of putting a rubbermaid tub with a hole cut out under as a nest box. Would this work? I'd just box off the two nest boxes up top. Thank you!!

(And about the prefab coop... I've already had to build a small quarantine/introduction coop for the bantams this weekend LOL)

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Hard to advise...pictures, please!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You could put a nest box in the run, if it would be protected from the weather.......

........or move the roost farther away from the nests.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    That's why I asked for pics @aart ...sounds like her "pre-fab" coop is one of those tiny jobs...

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by