Prefab Shed Capacity

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Meaghan, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Meaghan

Meaghan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    After a bit of reading through these threads, I've noticed that there is no real consensus on how many chickens can fit in a coop. Some threads say 4 sqft per bird, but others say that the larger the coop (and flock) the less sqft per bird is necessary. We are planning getting prefab sheds from Lowe's that are 10x12 sqft, and we are going to convert them with a saw and some extra wood into large coops.

Now, our biggest question that's up in the air is how many birds would that comfortably house? We aren't just housing them in the shed, we are going to build large runs for them (approximately two 10x20 runs per coop, one on each side) that they will have access to all the time as we are planning on using electric and strong fencing to keep predators out.

So, with these dimensions in mind, how many large chickens, ducks, and turkeys would you guys suspect would fit comfortably in these coop/runs?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Meaghan, do you live in a climate that might require the chickens to stay inside 24/7 during any part of the year?

If you live in a warm climate, and your chickens are going to have access to the run 24/7 (i hope you're covering it), then you can county the square footage of the run in your living space.

One of the reasons that the advice on square footage varies so much is because different breeds and different flocks will respond a little bit differently. Do you know what kind of chickens you're planning to raise?

3. Meaghan

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    No, we live in North Florida. It's still 80 degrees here during the day, and only a few weeks per year does it get down past freezing at night. We are going to have shade cloth strung on top of the runs but there are also a lot of large trees on our property that should give them some shade. They won't have access to getting up into the trees, though. And they will have access into the shed at all times. It does rain a lot during the summer, but usually only during our daily afternoon thunderstorm so it shouldn't affect them too much.

We are starting with Orpingtons primarily. We may also get Wyandottes, and if so, they will be in a separate flock. But, that is still up in the air because we don't want to stretch our budget to cover a separate coop/run for them if we don't really have the money for it. But if our planning goes well and we have the extra cash, we do want to get a fourth run for the Wyandottes.

As for the ducks, we are getting Muscovies. There are no turkey breeds, but we are getting the Bourbon Red and Royal Palm varieties.

4. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Well, i have lots of experience with Buff Orpingtons, and i can tell you they have lovely personalities and seem to truly bond to each other. Especially if you will have only BOs in that coop, i would say you could easily house at least 30.

As to the run, my concern about covering it has more to do with predators getting in. If you're going to keep the coop open at night, i would want to make sure that nothing could get in from above.

I don't have any experience housing ducks or turkeys, so i have to leave that to someone else.

You're going to have tons of fun!

5. Meaghan

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    That's good to know! Thank you. [​IMG] We are going to have mostly Buffs, but we're going to get a few Blues, Lavendars, and maybe even a Jubilee if they are in stock when we order!

I'm not sure if you know, but do Wyandottes get along well too?

Maybe I should post over in the other section for ducks and turkeys? I don't know if anyone will see it here.

6. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    The shed might get to hot in FL,my 10x8 metal shed was hitting 96-97 during times in MI last summer.It is very hard to get good ventilation going through there.Come spring i won't be using the shed as a coop.IMO

7. Meaghan

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    We were already expecting it to get hot in the coop, we're going to cut large "windows" in the siding and provide fans, and go from there. There's not much to be done about heat here in the summer, even a wooden coop would get hot and cost us more than double. [​IMG]

8. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I agree. The main thing to be done for heat in our climate is providing tons of shade and fresh water. And the additional provision of a closed in run will really help.. With those provisions, chickens handle the heat well.

9. Meaghan

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    And all of those things are going to definitely be provided with shade cloth, vent fans inside the coop, and plenty of water. [​IMG]

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Make sure there's strong fencing on top of the run too, as well as the shade cloth.
    If you plan to use the run as sqft to calculate population, part of it should probably be rain proof too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by