Prefab Shed Coop

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Meaghan, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Meaghan

Meaghan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    Hi! [​IMG]

I haven't posted in this section before, and I had a question about a coop/run design and comfortable capacity. We are planning on building our ducks living quarters similar to the chickens, with a central shed "coop" and two 10x20ft runs on each side. I was wondering if this would be a good set up for the ducks, and if so, how many would comfortably fit in this design? I don't want them getting stressed, but I also don't want to waste space. And really who doesn't want more of them? [​IMG]

If not, any suggestions on how to make it more duck appropriate would be helpful! Oh, and we are purchasing Muscovies if the breed matters. I know they are a different species from other ducks, but I don't know if that really matters in terms of designing a run/coop area.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC, and your choosing a very nice breed of duck. According to Dave Holderread in Storey's guide to raising ducks he rec for large ducks 6sq feet per duck the more the better. this is inside out side 10 sq feet per duck Muscovys like to roost so you might want to add some 2X4 for them to roost on at night. if you plan on using a ramp make sure it's wide enough since they have a wider waddle than chickens and isn't too steep. mine do well on a 16" wide ramp. I also use wood strips for giving them tread. a 10X 20' run on either side would be nice you just have to be careful not to over crowd. or your runs will get messy real fast.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A kiddie pool is, I feel, something all ducks benefit from, and so think about the slope, where the runoff will go when they splash and when you dump it, water source, and what you will put under the pool(s), like smooth pea gravel, sand, etc.

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    ducks need more space than chickens, is what your really need to take from this, a 20 by 20 should be enough for about three ducksand a height of 7 ft , depending on how tall the person is . But about 8 ft if its anything that can fly.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  5. Meaghan

Meaghan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    Thanks everyone for the info! So, by my calculations, it should fit about 20 ducks comfortably. That would be 6sqft per duck in the coop and 20sqft per bird out in the run. [​IMG]

That's perfect, because we wanted to order two color sets of 10 Muscovy ducks from Country Hatchery!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well you better post pics once you get them and also pics of your set up please, always helps other with ideas. look forward to seeing the littles once you get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by