Prefer broody or bator??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepmommy, Mar 30, 2012.

1. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I am so new at this. I purchased my flock as 1 day old chicks and have RIR, BR, and Black stars. After loosing 4 hens to hawks last year, I was hoping to replace them with some EE's and Black Marans. I wanted to get some green/blue and really dark brown. I really don't want to get a bator and than have to worry about introducing the chicks into the established flock. Am I correct in thinking that if I use a broody, the chicks will be accepted into the flock easier?? Where should I get my eggs?? Any other hens that you would recommend? I want some colored eggs and some hens that will get along with my established breeds... I know, lots of questions. I figure I should get them out of the way before I have a broody!!! thanks a ton and happy hatching!!!! [​IMG]

2. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    How are BO??

3. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    Do I have breeds that even will go broody?? sorry about the questions!! :)

4. chickee35

chickee35 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2007
    Eagle, NE
    A broody hen is great to have and yes, you dont have to worry about introducing them into your flock later. Of course an incubator is fun to have because you get more personally invloved in my opinion (turnning the eggs, watching the calendar, humidity and temp levels and of course watching them hatch! (the best part!) I have had some of my buff orpingtons go broody but the best broody hen in my experience are little bantys!

5. helomech

helomech Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    East Texas
    Broody hen is way better for many many reasons, but I have had no problem bringing chicks out of my incubator and putting them with the flock. I just do it at night time and there has never been a issue.

6. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I have used my broody hens in the past. I have bantams but a bantam can be any breed right? I have bantam cochins and they are very good broodys. I have one we call her little red she is so tiny she can only cover like 4 large eggs. she is a fierce mom though she lets me check the eggs and I hand feed her but no one meses with her when she has her babies. I know have two black bantam cochins setting on a raft of eggs, this is there first hatch and they were raised by little red, they do not want me touching them or there eggs. they just attack me I have brusiese up and down my right arm. but they are getting better and I just have to earn there trust. they will never be as sweet as my salmon faverels though. if you want a good broody and a all around good bird I say salmon faverls mine do the sister wife thing. it is so cute they let me pull eggs out and look and listen to them. we got ours as chicks and handled them alot so they are very tame. they do not like to be held but will jump up on the rost to be hand fed and loved on. I raise them and wish I knew how to ship babies I am still learning. I am with you on wanting some olive eggers and dark french coper marans for the egg colors I am still shoping for the best ones to hatch. look up salmon faverels and cochins for broodyness alot of people also use silkies my husbend hates them he teases they look stupid so I dont have any we had arguments about it... I miss them though. I had bought a incubator and had to take it back becuse we needed chicken suplies and were broke, you know the story to much month at the end of the money.... but now my hen is broody and hatching for me, God is watching over us becuse I had ordered some eggs and was so upset that I paid for them and thoguht they would go bad.. good luck on getting broodies and let me know if you want some faverall eggs I am just learning how to ship so they would not be alot...mine are not show quality but sweet birds and I think very cute. I also have cochins look them both with silkies and then look at the auction site here on byc lots of good eggs here...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by