1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prefered ratio roos/hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kara_leigh, Jun 4, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    My first group of chicks I had 7, down to six due to a hawk, and out of the six I only have one pullet. My second group of six that were sworn to be all pullets ended up being half and half (at least, for now at only 4 weeks). I also have two 2 week old Polish Crested that are straight run. I'm not having any luck at all getting hens. At least I'll have some good dinners.

I'm just wondering how many pullets/hens you need for more than one rooster? If either of the Polish Crested are roos, then I hope to keep one, and I'm keeping one of my oldest cockerels (who is very sweet and non aggressive so far). Would that even be possible? They free range, if that makes a difference.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I've always been told that 1:12 is a good ratio. I have a smaller flock, so when I have a rooster I have 1:9. Too many roosters will really over-power the hens.

3. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Some people say that you need 1 rooster per every 12 or 14 hens. i had a flock 4 or 5 years back i had 1 black leghorn rooster to 22 hens and fertility was 85 to 90 percent( probably low because of my incubator). I added another rooster and the fertility dropped because if the roosters saw the other mating they will knock the other off the hen. i think free range hens would need a heavier rooster to hen ratio because they have more places to hide and the rooster cant get around to them all. so basically i would keep only one rooster for less fighting and less problems. hope i helped

4. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Thanks! Here's hoping that my polish chicks are both girls. lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by