Preferred Sebastopol Type?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by CityChicker, Nov 24, 2010.

1. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I am just curious what body type most people prefer on Sebastopols. Do you prefer the more streamlined type with the refined head and long, slender neck..... or, do you prefer the more compact, generally rounder type with the shorter neck and blockier head? I know what the more desired type technically is. I am just curious what most people personally actually prefer the look of. Also, as far as weight, do you prefer the lighter birds in the 12-14 pound range or the heavier 16-18 pounders?

I go back and forth on this personally. I used to like the more slender birds as they always somewhat reminded me of Swans and preferred them also lighter weight. The stouter built birds though with the bigger head and shorter necks have really grown on me now (still like them lighter weight though). They are almost more expressive in the face to me now than the other commonly seen type, but I really like both (Sebastopols are gorgeous almost no matter the color and type, LOL). Your thoughts?

2. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I prefer the round bodied, short necked, round headed type.

3. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Thank you for the input, Ultasol. I think I am in agreement now. I have really grown to love that look as well and I think it is certainly the more preferred type. Anyone else have thoughts to share on that?

Editing to add: Actually, does anyone have any input on newer/rarer color varieties or new thoughts on breeding together the different forms of feathering (smooth breast, all smooth, or all curl)? I know that might be too broad a topic for one thread. I may just start another one in the coming days. I ask because I know a lot more people have been getting into the colors other than white. The information on the feather type is also something that opinion on seems to have changed over time. I have seen the Holderreads recommend various differing things on that over the years and there always seems to be little consensus on the value of breeding smooth breast to curly breast rather than curly to curly (or breeding from entirely smooth birds). On the rarer color varieties, my research has seemed to indicate that almost all patterns and colors in Sebs are sex-linked. I will have to elaborate when I have more time. I have just not, until now, been able to give as much attention to goose research and projects as my ducks unfortunately. I am hoping to change that in the coming months and next breeding season. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by