Preformed Pond Liner

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by J.R., Jun 17, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Chirping

Jul 15, 2017
    Ohio
    Hey everyone, I’m hoping for a little guidance from anybody who uses preformed pond liners for their pond. After about a year of hand bailing water daily out of a baby pool I decided to look for something less labor intensive yet larger for my two Rouens. To that end I bought a 145 gallon preformed pond liner that I’ll partially bury in the ground. Right now my plan is to install a shower drain in the bottom that runs via a short section to a ball valve which in turn will lead to a section that drains to the field behind my pen. Has anyone ever tried a setup like this? And, if so, how did it work out? My biggest fear is doing all the work only to develop a leak a month later!

2. littlecollier

littlecollier Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Oh! Watching this thread as we inheirated a pond liner from a friend ... We are trying to figure out the best way to set up, too!

3. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN" Premium Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    Hello!
    We have a similar set up. Ours is a stock tank that we installed a sink drain in the bottom attached to a ball valve like you are saying.
    Does it work. . yes.:)
    Does it occasionally get clogged up. . yes. :rolleyes:
    I have had good luck un clogging it so far with a length of hose back washing it and sort of plunging it out.
    Ours is almost ground level. . and the ducks throw little rocks in there all day for fun. Who would've thunk it! Plus I use pine shavings and they blow across the run and get in there. So leaving some of it above ground and making a ramp up to it might cut down on stuff getting in there that will clog it up. I would for sure use a sink drain instead of a shower drain if I were you. :p

Pork Pie Ken likes this.
  4. shawluvsbirds

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    KIMG0277.JPG here you can see the tank and the old cooler we buried to encase the ball valve. I think mine is just a 60 gallon tank. It gets nasty really fast. It's amazing how much mud and muck they put in there! Even with the river rock surrounding it.

littlecollier and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Chirping

Jul 15, 2017
    Ohio
    What a fantastic setup! I love the cooler idea!! I’m hoping that I can build the earth up around the liner in a gentle slope and then get a deep enough layer of river rock to at least keep the muck minimal.... but then again...they are ducks so it’ll probably be a losing battle!! The pipe I’m using to drain it out is 3” so I hope my only clogging issue will be the grate on the shower drain itself. Their lovable filthyness is why I went with the size I did in the hope that I can get away with a complete water change and cleaning once a week instead of daily!

6. shawluvsbirds

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    Well we didn't seal around the pipes good enough inside the cooler so water leaks in but other than that it has worked out well.
    I guess I was thinking a shower drain would be smaller than a sink drain. . my tub is old and has a tiny drain :p
    So yes. . go with whatever is the biggest!

7. J.R.

J.R. Chirping

Jul 15, 2017
    Ohio
    Thanks for the pics and info! I’ll try to post some pictures of my own once it cools down enough to dig a hole without the threat of heat stroke!!

shawluvsbirds likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: