Preggo health and chickens

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by OrganicMamma, Nov 28, 2012.

1. OrganicMamma

OrganicMamma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey,

I am on my third pregnancy but my first batch of hens! I've know that your not suppost to change cat litter when pregnant to avoid bacteria. Does the same thing go for cleaning out a chicken coop? Right now I have 14 red sex-links and it piles up pretty fast... We are going to be harvesting all of them except for 6 that were keeping for eggs, but even then, I'll still have to clean the coop. (Granted, not as often) If you've had any experience with this issue or know anything, I'd really appreciate the advice![​IMG]

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I wouldn't worry about it. The reason you are not to clean the cat box is because of a parasite sometimes found in cat feces. As far as I know chickens don't carry it. I can tell you this. My grandmother and my mother, and the women they knew all cared for chickens while they were pregnant with no ill effects.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Basic universal percautions should cover you. Round worm is the only concern I would have. That and the dust,so wear a mask.Healthy baby vibes!

1 person likes this.
  4. OrganicMamma

OrganicMamma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the replys! I was really hoping this was the case. I'll be sure to wear gloves etc.. just in case of ringworm. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by