Pregnancy and caring for chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AnnEliza, Feb 20, 2012.

1. AnnEliza

AnnEliza New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    We are planning to raise chickens for the first time this year--a flock of several different breeds, mostly for eggs, some for meat. The plan now is to convert an old unused corncrib to night housing and have a large fenced area for them to free range. However, I am hoping to become pregnant this year, and I am wondering about diseases and caring for the chickens...for example, toxoplasmosis is a problem with caring for cats. Any issues with chickens? none of the books I have say anything about it. Thanks in advance!

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I asked the same question on here when I was pregnant with my last child. I got a lot of replies and they all said there was nothing to worry about. Although you do need to wash your hands after handling the chickens or cleaning their coop. Also when you are cleaning the coop and stirring up a lot of dust you should probably wear a mask (most people do whether they are pregnant or not). Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. AnnEliza

AnnEliza New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    Thank you! My DH won't be involved with the chickens so I need to be able to care for them or sell off the flock while pregnant.

4. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    You should not have any issues, just practice good hand washing methods! congrats on the little one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by