pregnancy and cleaning coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by raspeary, Jan 31, 2012.

1. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    I am pregnant and have had numerous people questioning me on whether or not i should be cleaning my chicken coop? Not so much cause the weight of the shovel but the "feces". Just wondering.

My doctor didn't seem that worried about it but curious as to what everyone thinks.

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I would be more inclined to listen to my doctor.

There are a number of animals who's feces can spread bad diseases including house cats, rats, cockroaches, etc. But I don't think I've ever heard of chicken droppings being a problem. Unless, of course, you are not washing your hands after.

1 person likes this.
  3. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Congratulations!!! [​IMG]

I'm at 27 weeks myself and I haven't stopped doing a single thing I did before. Just be sure to wear gloves and a mask and use common sense! I spent 3 hours last saturday scrubbing my incubator and dusty, poopy brooder house. Just be smart and you'll be fine!

4. LCEchickens

LCEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Although I didn't start keeping chickens until after having my daughters, I worked as a zookeeper through all 3 of my pregnancies. I take care of a variety of animals including birds. As long as you are washing your hands after cleaning (as anyone should), you are fine. The only time my doc restricted my work was when I would get towards the end of my last trimester....then he didn't like me lifting bales of hay and bags of shavings![​IMG] Enjoy your chickens and being pregnant!! Congrats![​IMG]

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I cleaned out coops during both of my pregnancies, with no harm to my children. As long as you follow basic guidelines as far as cleanliness goes (handwashing, etc), you'll be fine.

6. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    Thank you all. That is exactly what I told them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by