Pregnant and concerned about catching something from chickens

loriamarosa

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
We have 2 "chicks" who are about 10 weeks old. They spend their days roaming our small fenced backyard. Our 2 dogs protect them there. However, our dogs are also indoor dogs who enjoy spending time on our couch when they're not on guard duty. I'm concerned that they are lying in chicken poop outside (although they appear clean of course). I am 7 weeks pregnant. What should I be concerned about catching from our chickens, via our dogs? My hubby plans to build a chicken tractor, so our dogs won't have to spend as much time outside protecting the chickens, and the chicken droppings will be a little more contained.

when i was pregnant i had chickens and i spent lots of time with them and and a lot of other pets parrots ect as they all shared a avery my dogs played with the chickens aswell i never caught anything but i suppose im used to the animal life having alot of different animals including horses cats chickens ect so i wouldnt be worried but if you are the chickens are fine with the dogs and your sofa just dont clean out the nests hutches ect as it might not be the chicken poo youll dealing with but the other nasties that like to live in the nests that might cause sickness id just relax pet the pets and leave the messy stuff to your husband lol

My husband's great grandmother and grandmother had 8 children between them and ran a dairy. They had chickens galore and everyone turned out okay. I personally think it is good to expose ourselves to dirt and some germs as it builds up their immunity. When I was pregnant with my girls I had a "family member" tell me that the first thing I should do with my dogs was to lock them up outside and keep them away from the babies. Really? My doc said it was the best thing I could do was to let them be around all kinds of animals. Kids raised around animals have less allergies and are less susceptible to asthma! I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Just make sure you wash your hands good and if you are still really freaked out about it call your doctor and talk to them!

When I was pregnant I changed Nothing, I even cleaned the cat litter pans, had to, you just wash your hands after handling anything like that just like you would anyway. My son grew up with animals, the dogs slept on his blanket with him as an infant and all turned out fine. I was Never a worrier about germs or anything, I wouldn't worry yourself about that at all.

that is very true i have grown up with lots of animals and dont suffer from any illneses the same with my 4 yr old daughter she is always mucky lol but i know people who are (anti germ) and they have asma and always getting colds and flu

a bit of dirt doesnt hurt anyone

Quote:
If you are cleaning out cat boxes while pregnant either have your doctor test you for toxoplasmosis immunity, or wear a dust mask and wash your hands. It's not the handwashing, it's the dust that kicks up and gets breathed in that is dangerous. Many, but not all, people who have cats have already been exposed and thus it's not a huge concern. It WILL cause problems in the fetus if you catch it while you are pregnant, and because it usually presents as a mild bug in adults, many women don't even know they were exposed while pregnant.

I have never heard any warnings about chickens, but since they probably aren't a common pet, most ob's probably don't routinely give warnings or ask questions about it.

Quote:
Holy Ned! You gotta remove that link!! Noone will own chickens after reading that!!!
gig.gif
gig.gif
Who ever thought you could get chlamydia from a chicken. Nasty rooster!!!

Back
Top Bottom