pregnant boer goat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hollyk, Nov 24, 2008.

1. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Have any of you ever had a boer goat- or any goat- go too long? We have been raising boer goats for just 2 yrs. now and before the breeding was done at our place and I knew the due date. This one we bought pregnant. She is huge, has bagged up a bit and looks plain miserable. I thought she was farther along, but maybe not, now I am worried.

What had been your experience?[​IMG]

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I wouldn't get too worked up. How long have you had her? Just be ready to help when the time comes in case she grows the kid(s) a little large.

Our does look really miserable in the last month. They groan, grunt, waddle around. It's pitiful! And I know JUST how they feel!

Generally speaking, she won't just be a little 'bagged up'...her udder will get tight before she kids. Also, see FarmerMack's post here recently - I posted a link on how to check ligaments.

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have had them go a few days over the due date but not to many. Her udder should get tight unless she dont bag-up till she kids, If she is this big she is probably carrying multiples. Been there with quads. Yes they groan, waddle and just stay uncomfortable...she should be fine. Just keep a eye on her in case seh may need help. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by