Pregnant Doe Drying Up or Sick?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by DairyGoatz, Aug 26, 2013.

1. DairyGoatz

DairyGoatz Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    This Friday our Nubian doe went into heat so we bred her to our young buck... She seemed fine until today, I went out to milk her and she hadn't eaten any of her grain from the night before. When I cleaned her udder the teats felt a little wrinkly like when you just milk them out and her udder was much smaller then normal.... I took her temperature and it was 104.5 she's normally around 103.5... she gave almost half as much milk than normal today

She is this just from being in heat/possibly being pregnant or could she be sick? :(

2. Sallyintucson

Sallyintucson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    I'm astounded at how many people don't bother to call their vets on this page. I know vets are expensive, but many times, if you put it off you loose your animal. Some will just answer your question over the phone. Give him or her a call!

3. DairyGoatz

May 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    There are no vets around here... the nearest one is 50 miles away and our truck is currently broken... its no use calling they just tell you to bring the animal in or offer to come to you'rehouse for a ridiculous price... We always take care of our animals at home and haven't had any loses yet.

4. Sallyintucson

Aug 16, 2013
    You must live in a state where you can purchase shots like 5 in 1 (canines) and rabies. I do.

5. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    If she is running a fever then she needs antibiotics. If not, then send a fecal off, cost $5 plus shipping and find out what worms or coccidia she may have. If you don't want to do that then treat for worms and coccidia but it would be cheaper to find out what you are dealing with first. Good luck!

6. Sallyintucson

Aug 16, 2013
    I didn't know you could send a fecal in the mail. My vet has always said it's no good after 24 hours - or is that another thing for money?

7. DairyGoatz

May 28, 2013
    North Carolina

I do but what good is a canine 5 and 1 for a goat?

We did give her antibiotics and probiotics and she cleared up in a day and we're planning on giving her a change of dewormer soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by