1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pregnant doe headbutt in out of no where?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by goatgirl1919, Jan 25, 2017.

1. goatgirl1919

goatgirl1919 Just Hatched

Jan 15, 2017
    I have to say when I was pregnant I was not the most friendly person to be around either. But is it normal for an almost always friendly and shy goat to turn mean towards the end of pregnancy? She will pick me out and come and headbutt me, and this isn't a playful head butt she'll run at me and headbutt me, hard, and her horns are very much so intact. Luckily she's small and I can hold my own. But I don't like it at all. Does this mean anything? What could make her do this all of a sudden, hormones?, problems with the babies? Still waiting on kids hopefully any day. But who knows[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I'm not a Goat vet, and I don't play one on TV. [​IMG] (chuckle needed)
    I think it is the hormones kicking in HEAVY DUTY. I think she will be quite protective after delivery also. A good mother in my opinion protecting her offsprings.
    Let us know how the progression turns out.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I probably am not much help in this situation, but I raised dairy goats for many years, and I NEVER had one of my does butt me whether they were pregnant of not, or nursing kids or not. I don't think this behavior is due to pregnancy hormones. I think it is a dominance thing. I think your doe views you as a member of the herd, and not the alpha member at that. She either thinks she is higher on the pecking order than you or she is trying to make sure that she is. Unless and until you convince her you are Queen Goat, this behavior is just going to get worse.

4. goatgirl1919

Jan 15, 2017
    It just seems really odd to me. I've had her for almost two years now, she's never been aggressive like that a day in her life. And just over the last week he started head-butting out of nowhere. I have no problem manhandling any of my goats and showing them who's boss, but I'm afraid to do so with her being pregnant. Any suggestions?

5. goatgirl1919

Jan 15, 2017
    :D :D
    I hope youre right! Maybe after she kids and things ettle down shell be back to normal. Id be cranky too if people were feeling all over my belly. Lol!

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    The only suggestion I have is to not give her the opportunity to butt you. Do not turn your back to her under any circumstances.Maybe tie her up when you go in the pen and don't untie her until you are finished in there. Then I would lead her to the gate and let her loose only when I got to the gate opening and was ready to exit. A spray bottle filled with cold water may help. You can hook the spray bottle in your belt. Give her a blast in the face whenever she starts to butt. Goats hate that but it won't hurt them. I think slapping her across the nose or other physical punishment might make the problem worse because by doing that, in her mind, you are reacting to her challenge and she is likely to respond by upping the ante. Keep in mind that even a small goat can hurt you if they nail you in the right place. Doctor visits, hospital stays, and physical therapy are expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by