Pregnant Mini Alpine, Need Advice

AltonaAcres

Songster
Jan 13, 2019
Hello everyone! Hope everyone is enjoying to cold, snowy days. I just bought a 9 month old pregnant mini alpine doe in mid-January. Because I don't want her to be head-butted by my original herd of 3 larger does(bc I've heard pregnant does who are picked on can miscarry), I have her separate, but sharing a fence line with them. So my question is will she be ok alone until she kids in May? She doesn't seem lonely but you never know. I think it will be easier to combine them all after they kidded (2 of the 3 originals are pregnant) and had their 2 or so weeks alone with their kids. Then they'd all be "new" to the flock, and with babies they might be more docile.

cassie

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
If they are sharing a fence line she should be OK. Here's one thing that MIGHT be worth a try. Since goats and other animals recognize each other by smell you could make sure they all smell alike. Put a dab of Vicks Vapo O Rub inside the nostrils and down the backbone of all the goats. If they all start beating on her anyway, you can promptly take her back out. Just a thought.

Top Bottom