Pregnant Nubian/saanen doe

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by FarmerMack, May 11, 2009.

1. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    My goat Mabel is close to birthing but I can't tell how close. The tendons at the back end are no "squishy" yet, her udders are very bloated, and in the last few days i've noticed a little bit of brownish discharge coming from her vaginal area. She seems to be isolating herself a bit from the other goats and when I try to feel her belly she wants to walk away from me, but being the herd boss i make her stay and just rub her sides cheeks and her head. Seems like she is REALLY close but she is 6 and never had any kids. Unlike my nubian "Mamma" goat whom is a breeding machine at 8, i was told when i got her last year she's had a litter every heat since her first. Mamma goat seems to have no problem dropping her kids. she was bought pregnant and gave me twins last summer, and them another set of twins when my Angora buck "Rasta" goat got her pregnant.

Farmer Mack - 16 hens, 7 goats, 1 aussie pup and 2 cats, wife still here somewhere woo hoo LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Photos would help significantly

3. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Quote:took a few days as Mabel is camera shy LOL but her she is, in the last week she has taken to eating on her knees

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

her udders look ready to explode, tendon check this am still tight [​IMG] [​IMG]

Farmer Mack [​IMG] [​IMG] where the heck did all these critters come from

4. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    well Farmer Mack I'd have to say she's pretty darn close, the kids seem to have dropped (unless she always carries like that), the udder is pretty full. But, the udder isnt strutted yet, and she's still got a way to go softening down in the rear.

I would guess at a week to two at the most, honestly I'd be surprised if she went longer than a week but I've had goats do funny things to me before.

One thing I really want to mention - if she's spending time on her knees it is likely she's experiencing a bit of ketosis (preg tox). It certainly wouldnt hurt to give her something like acetol, ketol or vytrate, and I would be watching her like a hawk to make sure she doesnt go off her food, as that will be the next step. She's a touch thinner than I like to see does on the point of kidding, and that will be a contributing factor if she does wind up ketotic. Make sure she is getting enough exercise daily - chase her around a few times each day if necessary.

Lovely udder on her by the way ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by