Pregnant Rabbit Feeding

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Farmboy101, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Farmboy101

Farmboy101 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2016
    Hi I have a pregnant doe and noticed on her feed bag that you have to restrict the feed. How much should I give her it says on the bag 4-8 ounces. Why do you have to restrict the feed?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    While your rabbit is pregnant, unless she seems to be becoming thin, don't feed her any more than a non-pregnant rabbit. The amount you feed depends on her size, condition, and the type of feed. If she is larger than around six pounds, I would feed her 3/4 to 1 cup of feed per day. If she weighs less than about six pounds, I would feed her 1/2 cup of feed per day. You don't generally need to worry about the weight in ounces of the feed. Just start out with a certain amount and pay attention to her body condition. A protruding backbone or easy-to-feel boniness would mean she needs more to eat. If, however, she seems to become too fat (developing lots of folds of skin or a backbone that can't be felt), reduce her feed. A fat doe will have a harder time kindling.

Once she kindles, though, begin free feeding her, as she'll need more calories to produce plenty of milk.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Have always kept mine on full feed all the time, year round.

4. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    During pregnancy, give her her normal amount of food, but decrease it if you notice she is getting to fat. Extra fat can complicate kindling. Once the litter is born, give her free choice feed.

5. Farmboy101

Farmboy101 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2016
    Ok guys thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by