Pregnant Rabbit help!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jerseygirl1, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    OK, I have a female I think is pregnant, and I have read the previous post, my problem is that she is pulling fur and nesting in her litter box. She is pooping in there and nesting at the same time. Yuck. I gave her a nest and she tore it apart and put the pieces in the litter box. Any suggestions? SHould I let her continue? I mean, I clean the litter box every day, I'm afraid to touch it now since she's pulling fur in it.
    Y|Thanks

2. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well... my bunny never had babies, but I was worried for a bit so looked stuff up. Personally, I would buy another litter box - put it in her "bathroom corner" and then move the nest/litter box into a different corner. Pick out the poop that you can...? I go here http://www.rabbit.org/ for a lot of info. We recently got Vivianna fixed and it didn't cost as much as I expected. We've got some breeders on here, hopefully they will know a little more. [​IMG] Oh, does your bunny have a special nest box? Would this be her first time?

3. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I tried another box, she tore it up. Yes, her first litter and totally unexpected, but my own fault - I cleaned her cage and put her in with my male. I'll never do that again.

4. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    It was over $300 here to have her fixed - so I will just keep them seperate!

5. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wow... it was about $100 for us and that included other stuff too!!! It also changed her behavior a LOT. She used to pee to mark by the back door and leave pooples almost everywhere she went. Now she goes in her litter box, is calmer, sweeter with the boys... no crazy mood swings, more gentle... I don't think she has even bitten me since (and it has been about two months now). And she isn't as bossy with the cats, she is still the boss of the kitties, but she isn't biting them on the butt anymore. She is a teeny little house bunny, so she goes practically everywhere... oh, and she doesn't really chew on stuff anymore?!? Just seems so much happier. Maybe it would be cheaper fixing the boy bunny... no opening up for that one.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  6. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Liza the bunny gave birth last night to 5 or 6 of the pinkest-faced babies i have ever seen. So far, so good. Covered in fur and sleepinig peacefully when I left for work this morning.

7. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Congratulations! Could you please post pictures of Liza and her kits? Do you know what breed she is? [​IMG]

8. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Yes, as soon as they get some fur on them
    Liza is a black rex, Dennis Hopper is a single mane lionhead, should make for interesting babies.........

9. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Definitely intersting babies.

They should be pretty cute for photos at around 10 days old when they have hair and their eyes begin to open. They will be hopping around and adorable.

Congrats on the babies.

For future reference a wooden or metal box is what is used for a nest. They can't tear those up like they do a box.

Be sure to up her feed to help her produce the milk she needs.

10. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Congrats on your new babies!!!

They should be cute and picture ready at around 10 days when their eyes will begin to open. they will be hopping out of the box then and so adorable.

Don't worry about cleaning the box out when it gets dirty. Just be sure you arange the fur and hay in the same position or close to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by