Pregnant Rabbit Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kenman, Nov 15, 2008.

1. kenman

kenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Ok, this one is for you'uns with knowledge of the hare that grabs yer hart. I bought a large mixed breed doe about two weeks ago. She started pulling hair 10 days ago, beginning with just a small amount and adding to it each day. Again in small amounts. She has a large tummy and is not eating as much as she did when I first got her. However, she remains very alert and active in her cage. I'm afraid she may be absorbing. I've heard this could happen, esp. if you move them to someplace knew while pregnant. I don't have a specific breeding date. Any knowledge, facts or opinions would be appreciated.

2. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    I suggest you ask at http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/ they can give you alot of helpful advice.

Did you purposely breed her btw? I mean, how do you know for sure she's pregnant?

3. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Some Does will pull fur up to 2 weeks before kindle. so this is actually normal.

2d case where as you do not know when she was actally bred, she could easily be ready to kindle now.
    Do you have a nest box for her, or a kindle box on the back of her hutch? if not a simple nest large enough for her to get into and turn around will do for now.
    give her hay to build with and to insulate the babys when they are born.
    Rabbits kindle 28 to 31 days after inception.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I have a doe that routinely goes 35 days.

5. Lil Chirp

Lil Chirp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    She could be going through a false pregnancy,we have a rabbit thats doing that because there is a golf ball in her box.
    The best thing to do is put a wood or metal nesting box just big enough for her to climb into in her cage.
    Line the bottom of the box with card board and then put on a half inch layer of wood chips and fill the nesting box with straw,not hay.They eat hay.
    I hope this advice helps. Good Luck!

6. kenman

Jul 10, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Update:
    12 days of pulling hair: frustrating!
    12 days of looking in an empty nest box: intolerable!
    12 days wondering if I made a jumbo mistake: painful!
    9 kits in the box, all doing great: priceless!

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yayyyy!

8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Thats great. I hope the kits are doing good. Can we see some pics?

9. kenman

Jul 10, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I don't have all the technology yet to post pics but can tell you that 8 are black and one is a cute little red! All are still doing fine. And thanks for caring folks, it means allot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by