1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pregnant Saanen due 5/10 & still not showing?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hmlongino, Apr 2, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I had two does bred. One is due in 3 weeks and is HUGE!!! It's her 3rd kidding and she is 3 years old. Her udder is starting to fill out as of the last few days.

The other one wouldn't be due until 6 weeks from now... but isn't showing at all. We have just about given up on her being pregnant, since there is just no visible sign. She is 2 years old, this would be her 2nd kidding. Now, she is 3 weeks behind the other, and she is a year younger... is it possible she just isn't showing but still expecting?

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Six weeks is a long time, I would not give up on her just yet.

3. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    We've always had Nigerian Dwarfs. With those little ones, I could always tell by this point. Maybe with Saanens they can show later.

4. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    I have an alpine/nubian cross who is supposedly due in early June. Last year when she was this far along I KNEW she was pregnant. This year I'm up in arms too.

With larger goats it is harder to determine how far along they are (if at all) until they are about 5 months in. Makes you want to scream, but think of it this way...if she doesn't kid in 6 weeks (or 7 or 8) you'll know she wasn't bred! [​IMG]

5. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    I keep a sharp eye on her, my Pygoras don't show it until they are pushing, so I don't know about you doe, have u been feeling her rump? They get to the point of mush about 48 hours before kidding

6. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Ugh! If she was bred (which she should have been... we left her with the breeder for 21 days, because we missed it by 1 day and had to just wait it out until her next heat... which she did come into while there!), then it puts her due on 5/10. Honestly, the girl is STILL looking slim and trim. It was such a royal pain to take her to be bred that I will SCREAM if she's not.... especially since I have been out of milk and need to start milking again for my big ol' family of 6!!

7. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Can't say about Saanens, but my mini mancha didn't show until a couple weeks before kidding. Then she blew up like a balloon and had twins.

8. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    The vet couldnt even tell if our Nubian doe was bred and two days later she had twins! Some are huge early on, some are hard to tell until the end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by