Pregnant woman slaughtering chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sstehm, Jul 16, 2011.

1. sstehm

sstehm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this one... I am 4 months pregnant and having some trouble finding a place to get my young roosters processed (everyone wants large batches) ---so is it ok for a pregnant woman to butcher chickens? are there any precautions one would need to take? will the kid turn out to be a psycho killer since I killed some chickens while pregnant lol (thats what my husband says )on top of that it would be my first time processing them so hopefully it will be easier than it looks![​IMG] thanks for any input!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I can't imagine there is anything dangerous about processing chickens while pregnant. Pregnant women can handle raw chicken while cooking so there really isn't any difference.

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I don't see why you couldn't. Just be very careful with the scalding water. (maybe let your hubby do that part?) Other than that I wouldn't worry about it none.

4. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    I have processed everything at some point during each of my pregnancies. Chickens, turkey, deer, squirrel, raccoon, opossum, etc. I have never had anything but a healthy baby each time. Dr. didn't mention that it was ever of any harm.

5. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I'm sure you wouldn't be the first woman to do so, or the last... [​IMG]

6. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I caponized while 4 mths pregnant, processed day before delivering my 3 yo - knew I wouldn't have time after, had to get them done - and everything else before. Only problem is scalding and plucking STINKS bad then, and makes me gag. That's a DH job.

7. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

As a doctor, I see no reason that butchering chickens would be contraindicated during pregnancy. I'm sure pregnant women have been butchering chicken for thousands of years, before we had supermarkets.

8. sstehm

sstehm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    Thank you all for your responses! Makes me feel a lot better about it--I'm really not sure what my other options would be with all these little roosters running around [​IMG] Thanks!!!

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    If you live in an area with a high immigrant population, you may be able to find someone on craigslist, or ask at the feed store. In all reality it's fine, but I have to say, i read the title and thought "best reality show title ever"

10. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Did my first processing ever when I was 6 months pregnant [​IMG] No issues, although I did have a hearty cry after the first bird. Picked myself right up after that and finished the job ( 12 roosters).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by