Pregnant Women around Chickens???

Quote:
PortageGirl,
I had to "house train" my hubby to wash his hands after using the bathroom, working outside, and going out and about in public. It never occurred to him how many germs you come in contact with just grabbing the handle of a grocery cart! I kept showing him newspaper articles on handwashing and flu, and all that and finally it sank in.

He told me that he thought it was just me nagging him at first, but now he knows that the mass media and all the local health clinic bulletin boards are nagging him too!
lol.png

Yep, I would take all the same precautions one would normally use. Washing hands, etc. Pregnant women aren't at any higher risk just because they are pregnant. The biggest problem would be on the off chance that she did pick up an infection, there are some meds that are not good for the fetus.

Even toxoplasmosis is still a pretty small risk, but I would still totally use the excuse to get my husband to clean the litter box!!!

Quote:
the bad thing in cat litter is a parasitic organism called toxoplasma gondii, which is present in many animals but especially cats. I'm not sure if it is present in chicken poop. Toxoplasma Gondii is rare but can cause growth issues.

I would be more worried about inhaling to much dust or something while cleaning. I think if she just remember to wash her hands and everything, she should be just fine.

I would always be concerned about histoplasmosis. I am an R.N. and once took care of a young mom who developed this during the end of her pregnancy- she did have pigeons- not chickens, but it's something that can thrive in the chicken poo.

Im two and a half months and just cleaned all three coops yesterday.
big_smile.png
I think that as long as she isn't subjecting herself to long hours in verydirty coops with her birds, she'll be fine.

I keep mine fairly clean anyways, so there isn't much ammonia smell. Studies have shown that the majority of kids who were exposed to farm animals very early in life have better immune systems especially when it comes to allergies and asthma. I like to think Im giving my baby a jump start
big_smile.png

My pediatrician told me when his kids were babies, he would bring them into the office and let them crawl all over the exam room floors. He did this to expose them to all the creepy crawlies he could. He says now his kids hardly get sick and never miss school.

I think the same thing applies to these farm kids that spend their days shoveling poo bailing hay.

edited to comment on Pati-o's statement: Pigeon poo is a whole new world of poo... It piles on top of itself which will keep it moist and has much more dangerous bacteria in it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom