1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Prelim Necropsy results: ILT MG :( UPDATED July 9 2010

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickiebaby8, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Update
    I spoke with the Diagnostic Lab as well as a woman from the Kentucky Dept. of Agriculture.
    The diagnosis was definitely ILT and there was a trace of Mycoplasma.
    Since we have already treated for MG 10 days ago, (tylan 50 1.5 ccs and 2 for big birds for 3 days each--all of them) and vaccinated them all with a non-shedding ILT vaccine, wormed them with IVOMEC, and don't plan on ever taking them off of the premises and don't have any visitors. practice bio security (I read up on it thoroughly) we have decided to close our flock and enjoy our healthy birds.
    The woman from the state has even offered to come test our birds for free to see how they are doing. If something horrible shows up, we will deal with it. If they are healthy, that will be peace of mind. They will not make us destroy our birds unless they have Avian Flu. They are reportable diseases but that just means they monitor us and make sure we get them the help they need, basically. I spoke to a PhD at the University of Kentucky who did indeed say that IF we wanted to get rid of the disease for sure, we should depopulate but since we only have a few birds and they are pets, and they have been treated, he saw no harm in letting them live out their lives as long as they are not sick. Which they aren't. No visitors, special shoes, showering and washing our clothes and making sure we never visit other chicken farms (which we don't) or show our birds (which we don't) is a small price to pay to keep them.
    We are going to vaccinate in a few more weeks again and hopefully that will be it. We are also going to quarterly hit them with sulmet because of a trace--a miniscule one--of cocci was found in one of those new birds. But as God as my witness, that vaccine that Peter Brown www.firststatepetsupply.com has been a miracle.

Thank you for love and support.

And next time--I WILL NEVER OBTAIN A STARTED BIRD. EVER!

Update:
    I ordered the non shedding vaccine from Peter Brown and it arrived Saturday afternoon. Too late for my beloved Ginger, who died Friday night. Anyway, All of my remaining birds got the eye drops. Only a few didn't swallow right away. It was very easy to prepare and administer. The chickens seemed a little sleepy at first or perhaps stressed from being caught and vaccinated. They are doing so much better! The one with the swollen eye last week is totally fine thanks to some advice I got on here regarding Neosporin. Only ONE Austrolorp is coughing a little, so I separated her to let her rest. She was doing much better and was not making any bad sounds at the end of today (Monday).

I am praying they continue to be lively and happy. They are SO much spunkier. Taking vigorous dust baths, pecking, scratching, chasing each other for treats, and two are laying again.

I will update again when I speak to the lab.[​IMG]

Thank you all for your support and advice.

Dropped two dead birds off today and the prelim result is "trachitis" and I have no idea how to treat that.. What does that mean? The lab would give me no ideas. Please help! I have lost almost 10 birds!

I talked to Peter Brown and will be ordering a vaccine, but with the holiday, it won't get here until next week. I am going to try it anyway. I still have about 10 birds that seem healthy. We have separated the sick birds. I am also going to get them some sambucol to try to help them fight this virus. I THOUGHT it was gapeworm but I am glad I gave them ivomec because one of the dead birds had worms.

Say it with me.

NEVER GET BIRDS FROM SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW. My friend did and gave them to me. I am so pi$$ed but it is a lesson learned.

The AG people at University of Kentucky were FABULOUS. I cannot say enough good things about them.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. Catstar68

Catstar68 Songster

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It is typically secondary to something else, I believe...did they say anything else other than Tracheitis?

4. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:Hi
    I spoke to the doctor who did the necropsy. It is likely ILT. [​IMG] It is spreading through my flock like wild fire. They are going to call me once they are definite and can see the slides.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Sadly, this is why I have the policy not to buy started birds from anyone, even those I do trust. I'm sorry for your trouble.

6. manichicks

manichicks In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    I am surprised that the AG people are not telling you to depopulate.
    Before you vaccinate you should put your birds on an anti mycoplasma antibiotic like tylan. And the Lt-Ivax instructions tell you to vaccinate only healthy birds. If they have watery eyes, they already have been exposed and are working off the virus. Remember that this disease can be spread by birds that have been vaccinated with a chick origin vaccine. I think if you look up ILT you will see that a certain percentage will die off and then you will have suriving carriers. Any future birds you add to you flock, as in chicks you buy to raise yourself, will need to be vaccinated before coming into contact with you existing survivors or the scenario you just went through will happen a gain, I think it is a thirty percent mortality. So you can be glad that you have survivors, but then remember you have carriers.
    Also, I think it is best to look up the vaccination instructions and make sure you understand that the vaccine goes into the eye and you watch for the bird to swallow, you do not make them swallow it. but it travels through the eye to the sinus causing that reflex.
    But honestly, i would not open a $16. vial for ten birds who may already be exposed, because the stuff is only good for two hours after mixing.

7. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:We thought we were helping "rescue" chickens from a laying house. NEVER. EVER. AGAIN.

8. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:They have all been on Tylan 50 for over a week. The vial of vaccine cost 24 dollars and cost over 80 to ship it so it got here by Saturday, yet I am sitting here waiting for it to arrive. I am so furious and hurt that I am still in tears. I lost another one last night. I have some beautiful healthy birds who have never been near the sick ones, never shared space or air, food or water with them. I am not culling those. The others, I will try to vaccinate and save. The ones who are already showing symptoms are likely going to be culled or will die on their own. They are not anywhere near the healthy ones. They are separated. I have treated them with Ivomec, also for possible worms. They have vitamins in their water. I don't know what else I can do.
    I talked to Peter Brown and I the stuff he sold me is supposed to help them not get the disease and not shed the virus in the future. The AG office, Dr. Bryant of the University of Kentucky did not tell me to just kill all my birds. Vaccines and biosecurity is the name of the game. This ILT is NOT zooonotic and will NOT harm humans, btw.
    Thank you for your kind words. [​IMG] I can't stop sniffling.

9. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Songster

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    manichicks does bring up a good point though. In many states ILT is a reportable disease and if the state has a big poultry industy the state ag dept. will be notified and chances are the flock will be de-populated and a watch/monitoring area will be set up for other flocks in the near vicinity.

Hopfully Ky. will just monitor the rest of your birds for signs of the disease. Even though the low path strain has a low mortality rate it can cause carcasses to be rejected at slaughter and there is also a drop in egg production for layer flocks which can cause millions of dollars in lost revenue.

There have been many changes in the way diseases have been monitored/eraticated since the BSE outbreak in cattle and the H5N1 virus has swept the Far East.

It has always got me though that a flock that carries an active disease will be culled yet a flock that is vaccinated but may still shed the disease will be spared. Thank goodness there is a non-shedding vaccine for ILT.

10. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:I asked Dr. Bryant and she said I didn't have to kill my birds. From the looks of the website, they are looking for only two diseases and ILT isn't one of them.

I vaccinated them today. I spent about 37 dollars on packaging and medicine and the rest on shipping, which was over 70 dollars. It is worth it to us to try to protect the ones who did not come in contact with the sickest (now dead) chickens. This is supposedly non shedding. I am praying they recover. If they don't, I am taking a break and will start again from scratch and will vaccinate the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: