Preliminary thoughts on sex for my 9 chicks **lots of pictures!!**

mintdeer

Songster
8 Years
Dec 24, 2014
My batch of chicks are all at least 4 weeks old now! We purchased all 9 of these chicks as sexed pullets from a local breeder/hatchery but there's a few that got me like 🤔 so I thought I'd start a thread! I'll be updating every few weeks with more pics since I know they're still pretty young and it's fun to see them grow over time. Feel free to make any guesses on sex! Or color for some of the mixed breeds (olive egger, marans hybrids) since I have no idea what they'll look like once grown.

Salmon Faverolle aka "Sammy". 4 weeks old. Pretty sure it's a pullet with her light coloring and white chest. Funny story I somehow never knew that salmon faverolles had 5 toes so when we got these chicks I momentarily panicked thinking she was a mutant!
IMG_4902.jpg

Easter egger #1 aka "Puff Face". 4 weeks old. This one I'm keeping my eye on.... it's always been much bigger than the others of it's same age and had the puffiest cheeks I'd ever seen on a chick! It's comb is still small and yellow but there's a lot of red feathers coming in...
IMG_4991.jpg
IMG_4929.jpg

Easter egger #2 aka "Little Tiny". 4 weeks old. The smallest of the bunch, hence the name. So far I think it's a pullet. Barely any comb. Difficult to photograph because she's so fast!

IMG_4971.jpg
IMG_4993.jpg

Welsummer. 5 Weeks old. Pretty sure this one is a pullet too since I think males have black chest feathers?
IMG_4916.jpg

Speckled Sussex #1. 4 weeks old. I think this is a pullet?
IMG_4975.jpg

Speckled Sussex #2. 4 weeks old. Another one I'm worried about. It's bigger than Sussex #1 but was slower to feather out and has a larger comb. Seen here with Sussex #1 on the left for comparison.
IMG_4933.jpg
IMG_4934.jpg

The Olive Egger. 4 weeks old. I'm really curious to see what this one will look like! I'm guessing it's part cream legbar because of that big single comb and little head tuft. I thought it would be barred but now I'm not sure? I think it's a pullet though.
IMG_4928.jpg
IMG_4926.jpg

Marans Hybrid #1 aka "Vulture". 5 weeks old. The breeder's webpage said males of this mix would be barred so safe to assume it's a pullet. She's also very football shaped. Starting to get little dark brown freckles on some of her feathers (she's the one in front in second pic).
IMG_4998.jpg
IMG_4937.jpg

Marans Hybrid #2 aka "Turkey". 5 weeks old. I posted about this one before because it confuses me! Theoretically should be a pullet because it's not barred, but it's always been bigger, lankier and slower to feather than Marans Hybrid #1 so I thought maybe it was a boy, but everyone said pullet. Plus their combs and wattles look about the same so now I'm thinking it's just an ugly pullet after all?
IMG_4946.jpg
IMG_4943.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4982.jpg
    IMG_4982.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for your input everyone!! I hope Speckled Sussex #2 is the only rooster! That would be great. We're allowed to have roosters so we'll probably keep him. I'll update again when they're a bit older!

Now everyone is 6 or 7 weeks old so I figured it's time for an update! I got some answers, but some mysteries still remain...(well, one mystery)

The "Marans Hybrids" aka Turkey and Vulture. I was kind of worried about Turkey because it was very slow to feather but I'm fairly certain it's a pullet, it looks just like the other one and very little comb/wattle development. Turkey does have somewhat "rough" looking feathers compared to Vulture, which is interesting...also has some feathers on it's legs and Vulture doesn't. Here they are, Turkey is in front:
IMG_5285.jpg

And here's our definite rooster. In my original post everyone said to keep an eye on Speckled Sussex #2 and they were right! Here he is with Speckled Sussex #1, who is for sure a pullet. Luckily we can keep roosters so I'd like to keep him, but he's a bit feisty. Hopefully he'll calm down?
IMG_5324.jpg

And now our remaining mystery... Easter Egger aka "Puff Face". It looks like it has a 3 row pea comb which usually means rooster, but one of my EE last year had that and was a pullet so I know that's not a totally reliable sign. The coloration is what concerns me. Lots of red and looks patchy. Thoughts?
IMG_5309.jpg
IMG_5339.jpg

Here is Puff Face with the other EE, Little Tiny, who I'm pretty sure is a pullet.
IMG_5310.jpg

And just for fun, here's our Olive Egger who I'm pretty sure is a pullet but she's just so funny looking! She's got a big crest now and has some very subtle gold-ish feathering coming in around the base of her neck. What an odd bird.
IMG_5260.jpg

Here's our Salmon Faverolle who's just so pretty! Very pink comb but I know she's a pullet because of the coloring.
IMG_5226.jpg

Back
Top Bottom